why do u have a sw aquarium?

nordy

I too started in FW with a gifted 55 gal complete setup. Enjoyed it, but got bored after awhile. 7 years after switching to salt, and then to reef setup this year, NOT boring. Expensive, satisfying, rewarding, fun, never a dull day.
Best part? showing neighbors what that weird blue glow is all about!

zeroc0o0l

Started out with Gold fish that my dad had.. stopped for a few years recently started. I started to scuba dive and I cant afford to go to nice places with cool reefs no reefs in Philly :) But there is a reef in my room and I wake up to it every morning its soo relaxing to fall asleep and wake up next too. Girls like it too

ecooper

I got into SW because there are more interesting things in SW than in FW. As much as I loved my angels and oscars, the creatures in SW are just much more interesting!!!

I have a FW aquarium 2. i have guppies and they have had babies. i have been able 2 raise 2 from birth. i went 2 a shop 2 buy more FW fish and the shop had a SW aquarium in it and i saw an emperor angel and i wanted it really bad so i got a SW aquarium.

aquaferg

Got tired of going to the LFS and saying to my self.. "Hmm.. I want a pretty new fish... What shade of dull am I looking for today?" Not really though I just wanted a SW and a FW so I finally got the nerve to go salt and I now love it.

Well I had way to much money piling up and nothing to do with my time either. So I did what any responsable father of a 4 and 3 year old and a 2 month old would do. I went overboard getting back into the hobby. In as little as 3 months I now have a swimming pool in my basement with 2 other tanks and 2 tanks in the living room. The real reason is because my kids loe looking at everything and my son likes to as he would say " pet the fish". They get a kick out of seeing the FedEx guy showing up with a box that says SWF. com and they can only imgine whats in the box.

rbrockm1

i have a couple of reasons. first no 1 tank looks the same. there are so many possibilities with SW, and that makes it fun and exciting. another reason is i like the looks on peoples faces when they come in and see my tank. Its like they have never seen water before. And lastly it helps with the college stress. when i get stressed or overwhelmed i just go and sit next to my tank and no matter what i feel better. I don't know if that is weird or not but it works.

sxy_kya_06

I startede my sw because it was an offer i couldnt refuse. There was an ad at work "55 gal Complete Salt Water Tank $100-" My husband and I could not refuse. We bought. Love it. We are wanting to go bigger. We want a reef and a FOWLR. For my sons 10th b-day. He will be getting a 29 gal nano. HE loves it more than we do. It is also a major conversation piece. I love the colors and the options for fish and everything else. I have triggers and a red volitan, so it is like watching a soap opera. Everyone loves everyone. Buying SW was the best thing for my family. It costs us a couple of G's, but it is worth it.

S

spoiledogz

Originally Posted by fishy PA guy
http:///forum/post/2563421
They get a kick out of seeing the FedEx guy showing up with a box that says SWF. com and they can only imgine whats in the box.
I deliver for FedEx and I get excited when I get those boxes to deliver. I always have to ask the recipient (if they are home) what they got! I take extra special care of those boxes and tell my co-workers to be careful with them as well!!

Originally Posted by spoiledogz
http:///forum/post/2563535
I deliver for FedEx and I get excited when I get those boxes to deliver. I always have to ask the recipient (if they are home) what they got! I take extra special care of those boxes and tell my co-workers to be careful with them as well!!
Its a shame you're not my FedEx guy because I ordered something from a guy in NY 2 times and the first time they skipped the package and left it at the depot. It was the weekend so my fish were shipped Friday and I didn't get them until Tuesday afternoon. I had a mted pair of maroon clowns, RTBA, orange shoulder tang, lobster, and a sea hare in there
. I actually got the female maroon to live and she is as healthy as could be. I could tell she missed her mate though because she wouldn't eat at all for a week. I just got my shipment from SWF.com yesterday with 2 little maroons and as soon as I put them in she acually ate for the first time
. The second package from the guy in NY was demolished at the shipping depot closer to me and got returned
. That had an imperator adult and 2 tangs in there. I guess I just don't have good luck

casper1875

As a kid my family raised freshwater fish and I liked them, but the first time I saw a saltwater tank I fell in love. It's a living photo, full of beauty. My friend gave me a 75 gallon tank the first week in July (it started leaking in November
) . I read so much I thought my head would fall off. Took so many notes I had to start a spreadsheet to keep track.
I did not even put water in until the end of August. My husband was ready to leave then. After over 25 years of marriage I was either on the computer, nose in a book or at That Fish Place( my second home).
Eight months later and I'm called the crazy fish lady. Up at all hours of the night (my age issues) and over 400 photos, which I show off like they were my children. I'm so addicted it scares me. My free tank has over $3,000.00 into it now, and I want to get an even larger tank. I guess I'm blessed, my husband's still here
, I still have my job (had to be home a few days with new arrivals), and there are still no men in white jackets at my door.

I wish I could have started this when I was younger. At least I started before grandchildren. I hope to have my dream tank before that.
Sorry for the small book, I just can't seem to stop when it comes to my saltwater tank. Proud mom of five species of fish, beautiful coral and worms and crabs.

maddog0118

tank for years but always heard way to exspensive and the upkeep is so high...so i waited to i got a bigger house and went to the fish store and bought a 220 tank with stand on sale for 800..figured do it right the first time so i have no regrets with buying smaller tank...tank got set up and wife said nice but maybe we got to big of tank..we went to zoo they had aquarium and when she saw it she start asking if we could go bigger...go figure...

mr.m

I got into SW 3 years ago Iam on disability and need a hobby to keep me busy
had FW when i was in my 20 so now in my 50 i went sw . Started out with a 45gal went to a 120 gal now going from a folr to a reef all in 3 years.