Why does my lighting look so different?

ghola5

Hey there I have a 12g master cube that I switched over to a 12 gallon jbj nano cube because my lighting went out on my master cube and they are no longer sell master cubes . So my point is my lighting was 24 watts on my other tank and 24 on the nano cube but on the nano cube the lighting looks very blue tone and kind of cloudy almost looking. Not as bright really as on the master cube. WHy is this? The coloring just looks strange. ??

errattiq

You need to check the color temp of the two lights to be able to understand why the colors look different, assuming most 50/50's use the same sort of actinic blue, you need to see what the color temp of the white bulb is. Usually they are somewhere between 6700K (yellowish white) to 14000K (bluish tint) or even 20000K (very bluish). That is more than likely where you color difference is coming from...
-Josh

errattiq

Yeah, that 10K and actinic look more bluish than your other one probably because you had an actinic with like a 6700K daylight or something comparable. The actinic and a yellowish to white light like your first one would produce a less intense blue effect. Try and get a bulb in the 6700-8000k range. That will solve your problem. I must admit though I had 260W PC lighting with 10K's and actinics and they didn't look cloudy like you described... Maybe you have a faulty bulb? not too sure without pictures... can you post some??

ghola5

yes I will post some to. I guess its just so weird because my 120 gallon tank with 440 watt vho's looks so good and this lighting on the nano is kinda crapy watt lighting I guess you could say. I will upgrade the hood here in the future for sure. I will get some pics up.

errattiq

True. Wattage can definitely sway the color spectrum of supposedly similar Kelvin rated bulbs... especially from 440 vho's to a nano lol

ghola5

I just want my nano to look like my large tank but dont want to spend the money LOL what a brat
Im going to get pics up soon...