Why does my sand look like this??

jthomas0385

Is there something I can do to keep my sand from looking like this? I know its some kind of Algae, but it look horrible. My tank is 4 months old, all parameters are good. Thank you.

spanko

This is Cyanobacter. It grows in areas of high nutrient and low flow. You would do well to listen to Ms. Kitty here and get some critters to shift the sand around and eat up the nutrients. Nassarius snails(Nassarius vibex), Cerith Snails(Cerithium sp.), and a Fighting Conch(Strombus alatus) would be good additions. Also add some flow to the areas affected to keep detritus from accumulating there.

meowzer

Originally Posted by spanko
http:///forum/post/2975241
This is Cyanobacter. It grows in areas of high nutrient and low flow. You would do well to listen to Ms. Kitty here and get some critters to shift the sand around and eat up the nutrients. Nassarius snails(Nassarius vibex), Cerith Snails(Cerithium sp.), and a Fighting Conch(Strombus alatus)
would be good additions. Also add some flow to the areas affected to keep detritus from accumulating there.
YAYYY FOR ME!!!

jthomas0385

I have 5 Nassarius snails, I'll go pick some more up at the store. My concern now is if I have enough flow in my tank. I have a 75 gallon tank with two powerheads, one on each side, pushing 850 gph.

spanko

So looking at your tank thread this is a 75 gallon bowfront with two Koralias each at 850 gph plus a canister with some amount of flow. Seems like it could be enough it the flow is directed so that there are no dead spots. But of course more flow could not be bad in this size tank especially if you have rockwork that breaks it up too much.
On the snail, if all you have are 5 IMO you are woefully understaffed in this department. I have a 29 gallon with 9 Nassarius, about 15 Ceriths and one fighting conch. I also have 350 GPH coming from my return pump, a K-nano with 240 GPH and a K-2 with 600 GPH. So about 1190 GPH worth of movement in my tank that actually has after rock and sand displacement about 22 gallons or so of water. So about 54 times turnover rate. All is good.

jthomas0385

I know thats not enough snails, I've just been buying them here and there, when I have the money. I'll try and reposition my powerheads, and buy some more snails, and see how that helps. Thank you.

dbestnindy

I had the same problem and found that my phosphates were high. I bought a can of phos something or other (don't remember the name) at my LFS and it really got it under control. A nylon pack that I put it in my canister filter. Of course, I still have to find the reason for it to begin with. Overfeeding, plain and simple.