why does my skimmer do this?

i love fish

Does anybody know y my skimmer keeps on skimming out clean water every time I do a water change.
The only way I can stop it from doing this is by either blocking off the air intake tube for a couple of days, or by switching the skimmer off for a day or 2 then putting it back on again.
Does any1 elses skimmr do this or just mine?

mr_x

contaminants in the salt mix?
mine used to do that when i used instant ocean. i have since switched to oceanic, and it has stopped.

A

allenk

Mine would do that when I had a Red Sea Prizm skimmer. Of course, any change would cause that skimmer to either skim too light or not skim anything. It was very touchy. Nothing wrong with the water; it was just a touchy skimmer.

ncacura

What do you mean by clean water? Is your protein skimmer and in-sump skimmer? Sometimes with in-sump skimmers, if you top off your tank, your water level goes up in the sump (obviously.) This causes the level in the skimmer to go up, and sometimes if you overfill your sump, meaning filled it up more than you did when you set it up, it will pull out more "water" in the cup than usual. This is jsut because the water is higher than normal.
Is that what you are talking about?