Why I continue to use Reef Crystals...

pegasus

Almost all of the negative reviews about Instant Ocean Reef Crystals point to the same thing... residue in the mixing container. I've dealt with it since I started in the hobby, and never really understood why it formed. I've heard different reasons, including it's likely due to an anti-caking agent that Instant Ocean supposedly uses to keep the salt from clumping. I can't confirm or deny if it is or isn't in the salt mix. But I do know why a residue forms in my mixing vat. It's calcium carbonate precipitating out of the solution. Before you get ready to throw your IO/RC away and look for a cleaner mixing salt, let me put your mind at ease. As plainly advertised, Reef Crystals has elevated levels of Alkalinity, Calcium, and Magnesium. When you mix your saltwater, the solution is over-saturated with these elements, which leads to precipitation. While this creates the annoying residue that we see in our containers, it doesn't mean that the saltwater doesn't have enough of these elements left to provide tissue-building material for our corals. On the contrary. Every batch of Reef Crystals I've tested, after a minimum of 24 hours, still contained high levels of Alk, Cal, and Mag. My theory is that Instant Ocean knows there is going to be precipitation, so they include enough extra of each element to allow for precipitation while still providing elevated levels of each. That's why I continue to use Reef Crystals...

snakeblitz33

Hmmm.....

Most people use the bare minimum when it comes to salt mixes. Mg live fish store mixes instant ocean, which has been the trade mark go-to salt since the hobby began.

I personally like to use instant ocean, then test my batch and add the necessary amounts of elements to match my tank water before doing a water change.

But you make a good point.

lmforbis

I'm a fan of reef crystals too. Easy to get. Amazon delivers to my house, free shipping. Got to love that. I don't get a ton of residue in my mixing tank. I just pull it out and rinse it out every few months

2quills

I figured there were some pretty easy ways to dissolve it. But I'm sure you're right.

I always thought that one of the biggest issues reefers had with I.O. was the inconsistency between batches. Not so much the residue. Most reef salts tend to leave a residue. Especially if you over mix the solution.

pegasus

I figured there were some pretty easy ways to dissolve it. But I'm sure you're right.
We'll have to ask Imforbis, our resident chemist.

I always thought that one of the biggest issues reefers had with I.O. was the inconsistency between batches. Not so much the residue. Most reef salts tend to leave a residue. Especially if you over mix the solution.
I've heard of inconsistency of batches in the past, but not so much in recent times. I think IO has better quality control these days. I've never gotten hold of a bad batch, and my test results are almost identical on all the boxes I've purchased since starting in this hobby. As you stated, most reef salts tend to leave a residue, which is one of the main reasons I avoid "clean mixing" salts. These salts tend to be a bit low on one or more crucial element, which is why there is little-to-no precipitation. I wouldn't like having to dose my newly mixed saltwater, so I'm sticking with what I've used all along. I think over mixing my saltwater is probably the reason I experience more than usual residue buildup. I initially use a 2400 GPH pump to blend the salt mix with RO/DI water. After a few hours of churning, and the water is completely clear, I'll turn the big pump off and use a power head to keep the water circulating. This doesn't normally cause much of a buildup. I'm sure leaving it in the vat, heated and circulated, for weeks (or months) at a time isn't helping with the residue situation. I've noticed if you mix a batch and leave it in a plastic container for 3 months or more, it tends to get a pretty heavy coating on everything... lol! On the other hand, I've never had an issue with precipitation in the tank.

lmforbis

If you drop some acid on it and it foams it is likely a calcium carbonate. I'm more of a biochemist haven't done inorganic analytical chemistry in 20 years.

snakeblitz33

Scrape some off the side and add a couple drops of vinegar to it. If it foams, its calcium.

Then again, if you want to really find out what it is, send it off to a lab. Lol.

Last time I mixed saltwater, within one week or so it started clouding up on me and formjnf crystals.... I just don't like to mix saltwater.

bang guy

But I do know why a residue forms in my mixing vat.
A couple things you can do to help with residue.

1 - Ensure the water is cold. Tough in the summer sometimes but the colder the better.

2 - Stir the water vigorously while slowly adding the salt to the water. Don't rely on a powerhead to mix the salt into the water, powerheads are better at circulating water than they are at stirring it.

3 - Do the initial mix at a lower concentration and then bring it up to full strength a few hours later.

These steps may not prevent residue but the colder the water and faster you get the salt mixed the less precipitation you will have.

pegasus

A couple things you can do to help with residue.

1 - Ensure the water is cold. Tough in the summer sometimes but the colder the better.

2 - Stir the water vigorously while slowly adding the salt to the water. Don't rely on a powerhead to mix the salt into the water, powerheads are better at circulating water than they are at stirring it.

3 - Do the initial mix at a lower concentration and then bring it up to full strength a few hours later.

These steps may not prevent residue but the colder the water and faster you get the salt mixed the less precipitation you will have.
You are absolutely correct on all of the above. This is very good advice, and I do all of the above. I mix my saltwater in my basement where the temp is never above 65F.

1. Saltwater mixes with less precipitation in cold water. The water in my mixing vat is usually about 60F.

2.I use a 2400 GPH pump, and an 1100 gph power head to keep the water moving (actually churning). I slowly pour the salt mix into the hard stream of the pump, while vigorously stirring with a large spoon to keep any of the mix from settling.

3. I normally mix it to 1.022 SG and allow it to blend for 24 hours before checking the SG again. I also have the water slowly heating up during this time. Between the large pump, power head, and the heater, the water is usually 65F - 66F after 24 hours. This is when I bring the SG up to the desired level, around 1.024 SG - 1.026 SG. I base the target on what the tanks' water is. If the SG is high in the tank, I mix it a little lower to bring the SG in the tank down ever-so-slightly... and vice versa. The SG has been rising slowly since I started 2-part dosing... which is normal.

I don't believe there is any way to stop the residue from forming in our mixing vats while using RC salt. It's the nature of the beast. The methods you outlined will definitely help reduce the buildup, or at least keep it to a minimum. ;)

pegasus

Y'all are too smart for me. Lol.

Imforbis you're a chemist? That's freaking cool.
Well, I'm a brain surgeon... AND... an astronaut. I once had to do emergency surgery on a Russian cosmonaut who had a cerebral aneurysm while aboard the International Space Station (ISS). I patched him up, and in no time he was back to performing experiments with monkey feces. What do you think about that???

Kristin1234

I know this chemist.
Well, I'm a brain surgeon... AND... an astronaut. I once had to do emergency surgery on a Russian cosmonaut who had a cerebral aneurysm while aboard the International Space Station (ISS). I patched him up, and in no time he was back to performing experiments with monkey feces. What do you think about that???

Damn it. We need some sarcasm font up in here. I can't tell if you're being serious or not. Lol.

If you are either that's really cool.

pegasus

I know this chemist.

Damn it. We need some sarcasm font up in here. I can't tell if you're being serious or not. Lol.

If you are either that's really cool.
:p ... :rolleyes:

I had a feeling the "experiments with monkey feces" might give it away... :oops: