Why I haven't been on SWF in awhile....

promisetbg

My reef tanks are kind of on auto-pilot these days. Just top off or do a wc, dose the 90 every day, feed the fish and corals. No new coral additions, I am scared after bouts with redbugs and AEFW's.

So, last september I decided to try fw planted tanks. Here are the results~
My first, a 10" cube. It is 4.3 gal. The look has changed a few times since I started...this is a recent pic.

Then, I set up the second cube a few weeks later~

Both cubes share a 48 wtT-5 fixture

This year came the 4 gal Finnex~

And, my most recent project..just over a month old. It's a 20L w/ pressurized CO2.

spiderwoman

Beautiful stuff! It's amazing how much larger than 20long looks than what it actually is. All about proportions

promisetbg

Thank you everyone for the nice compliments. DeMartini, let me know if you do decide to. It can be just as challenging as keeping sw. Spiderwoman, you are right. I am tring to keep everything at the right size, so nothing looks out of proportion. Some swords and certain plants get huge leaves, and look much better in large tanks.To me this is an expression of art..aquatic art.

deltablack22

It looks like you have 4 planted tanks and only 1 betta. I dont see any inverts or fish in the other tanks... Is there a reason for this?

reefkprz

I LOVE nature tanks, friggen beautiful. I really cant impart how impressive I think nature tanks are......

reefkprz

Originally Posted by DeltaBlack22
http:///forum/post/2641800
It looks like you have 4 planted tanks and only 1 betta. I dont see any inverts or fish in the other tanks... Is there a reason for this?
there are limits to what you can cram into a nature tank, if you look close you can see serpae tetras

deltablack22

Ok, when I look a little closer I can see some red colored tetras and clear shrimp. I've got a book somewhere with some amazing planted tanks. My favorite ones housed small schools of cardinals - the contrast was incredible. You did a really good job Pro, I'd say these are "book worthy".

deltablack22

Originally Posted by reefkprZ
http:///forum/post/2641812
there are limits to what you can cram into a nature tank
I wasnt expecting a community tank, but more of an explanation behind stocking this sort of tank I suppose.
Also, what kind of lighting and substrate would be ideal in these applications?

bronco300

hey promise, nice to see you around...those tanks are amazing, i've thought so many times about starting a planted tank...i've seen so many that just look amazing...but then i chicken out thinking they'll be so much with all the plants etc...very nice though!

reefkprz

Originally Posted by DeltaBlack22
http:///forum/post/2641959
I wasnt expecting a community tank, but more of an explanation behind stocking this sort of tank I suppose.
Also, what kind of lighting and substrate would be ideal in these applications?
a lot of times t-5ho, powercompacts and lights of that sort are used on nature aquariums as some of the plants have high light needs, substrates can be multi layered, starting with laterite, or other planted aquarium substrate, and topped with various sands or rock types to the designers esthetic appeal, I would have to say IMO the upkeep on a tank like those are far more demanding than a reef.
I applaud any one that can design and keep one without it turning into an algae free for all. I have wanted to do one for a while but between reefing and working and trying to move forward in my goals of a full blown reef store I dont have the time to devote to one. yet.

deltablack22

As always, thanks for the insight RZ. You have also persuaded me never to attempt one of these tanks.
If they are more difficult than reef its gonna have to wait another 30 years or so until I retire. I barely have time for the tanks I have now!