why is a red general star NOT reef safe?

danrw84

it was brought to my attention that the red general star in my tank is NOT reef safe.
why?
what does it do that i should look for?
should i get rid of it?
thanks

P

pa reef pig

They are of the Protoreaster family and are omnivores. As well with the Chocolate Chip star, which is a cousin of this starfish, they can sometimes be found eating soft and hard coral (they dont discriminate) and will eat clams. Keep him well fed and whatch him closely:eek:

P

pa reef pig

True skilos1, The knobby starfish usually fall in the genus of Protoreaster and are not a good bet with the reef tank.
Linkia starfish are ok (so I hear) but do have the ability to release toxins as a defense mechanism. May cause serious problems for the tank if that would happen.

P

pa reef pig

I think the most beneficial starfish are the brittle/serpent stars. I have three in my tank. They are excellent scavengers.

ophiura

Yup, the only one's that are really beneficial in a sense are the brittlestars (same as serpent stars). These will scavenge, but should, IMO, be spot fed as well. However, the green brittle is a known predator as well. The knobby stars, including the red African, general and chocolate chip will also eat large dead things, like fish, in addition to a wide range of other living things.
The purple Linkcia is not, it is (in most instances) Tamaria stria and reports have come in about it eating a variety of soft corals including mushrooms. This is a danger. We know very little about the diets of many of these sea stars. All Linckia and Fromia and relatives are very delicate, requiring many hours of acclimation. It is best to keep them one to a tank, and the best success is in tanks of 100+ g with at least that much LR, and no other similar stars.
BTW, I have never seen a 'general' star that red. Strange. Where did you get it from?

u235a4

i have a large Red General and it has in the past been seen eating my bubble tip anemones.....you just have to watch them

dockery07

How well do you think he would ship now that it is getting cold? We are supposed to have snow in DFW tomorrow.

ophiura

You would definitely need some sort of heat pack and a styro box, not to mention overnight shipping. These guys don't do well if the get too cold.