Why is my Huma so timid??

benihuma

Ok, so I bought some rock two days ago and ever since the only time I see my picasso is when I feed him, otherwise he hides somewhere in the rock. And if he isn't wedged in the rock he will peek over the edge, and as soon as he notices me he swims for cover. Is he afraid of the other fish? I have 5 little damsels and a 3 inch maroon clown with him. The damsels are 1 inchers and the picasso is between 1~1.5 inches. Please give me some insight. If i have to I'll get rid of the damsels. Thanks for the info in advance.
Ben

dgs174

How long as he been in your tank? If you just introduced him recently that his behavior is sort of normal. Also what size is he? Is he juvenile?
He will need at least a 75 gallon tank when he is bigger, but if he is a juvenile now you can get away with it for a little while.
If he has not just been introduced in your tank, and has been living in your tank for a long time than this behavior is odd, IMO. But if you just put him in there than it will naturally take him awhile to become aclimated to the change of scenery.

pufferlover

Normally Triggers will lock themselves in between things to avoid predators. They can erct their top spine and it acts as a lever. From what you say I think it is just doing what comes normal now that it has some rocks to work with. The story was told here before of someone who broke a perfectly good decoration thinking their Trigger had got caught only to find it back there the next day. Once they learned of this habit of the Triggers they felt much better.