Why me? This is strange?

mie

I have had my reef up and running for a few years with minor issues here and there, but tonight I noticed my large gold stripe clown COVERED in ich, so I went to work and set up the hospital tank and started copper. I looked at all my other fish and noticed my foxface was rubbing and flashing but no spots, my poor flame angel has some white spots now. What would cause this with no changes in my system at all? Everything is very stable. Can xmas wrasse get ich? This is gonna be a battle to fight with a 30 gallon hospital tank and 7 fish. Any pointers?

meowzer

Man that really sux.....you have added nothing new at all??? What types are your 7 fish?
I have no pointers since Thankfully I have not had an ich issue....I wish you luck though....

mie

I have battled it a few years ago with hypo. No new additions. I cleaned the tank on sunday, when I got home this morning the return pump was gulping air, so I topped it off with fresh ro water that was around 55 degrees
(5 gallons).
Fish list.
Flame angel.
Large foxface.
2 green chromis.
Xmas wrasse.
Blue devil damsel.
Gold stripe maroon clown.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
The fish have had the ich all along with little ill effects, and went unnoticed. The stress kick-started the big problem. Typical ich scenario.

aquaknight

Originally Posted by mie
http:///forum/post/3167967
What stress? They had ich for over two years that went unnoticed?
Beth is probably referring to either the tank cleaning, or drop in water temperature from the cold top-off, as the stressor.
Yes fish can go unnoticed with Ich. Ich typically first infects the fishes gills, because so much water passes through the gills, vs. the rest of the fishes body. Where typically, healthy fish can combat and keep the Ich suppressed to only the gills, and/or even eventually completely fight the disease off. As Beth points out typically some stressor will cause the fish to drop their immunity, and voilà, Ich pops up in a full on outbreak.
Yep, Xmas wrasses are just like any other fish, they have gills and are susceptible to Ich as well. You'll need some type of sand bed (I usually use a tubberware container with sand) in your QT for him.

mie

Nope, it keeps reproducing. Good tip for the wrasse with the tupperware dish and sand. I was wondering about the wrasse because blennies and manderines do not get ich.

reefjunkiee

there is new findings that it does in deed wear itself out, i cant post the link here though. and im not sure if its 100% accurate.

aquaknight

Originally Posted by mie
http:///forum/post/3167977
I was wondering about the wrasse because blennies and manderines do not get ich.
They can, and often do. As I mentioned above, blennies and mandarins both have standard issue gills, which can succumb to Ich just like any other fish. Their heavy slime coat helps prevent a full on outbreak, but they certainly can be infected.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Originally Posted by reefjunkiee
http:///forum/post/3167984
there is new findings that it does in deed wear itself out, i cant post the link here though. and im not sure if its 100% accurate.
Send me this via PM, please.
In its natural environment, the ocean, ich is virtually harmless to fish--except when a fish is sick, poor health, etc. And then it will overwhelm the fish. In the tank environment, overwhelming a fish becomes so much easier due to very controlled environment and the countless opportunities for small things to go wrong. Also, in captivity, ich constantly attack the same fish over and over. This will be a stressor in and of itself.
Now, you say you haven't changed anything, but did you add any live rock, live sand from another tank, hard shelled inverts, a coral mounted on rock? All of these things can possibly introduce ich in your system.

mie

Beth, I have not done anything different, that is what has me so confused. Abouth three months ago I broke the tank down and moved it because it flooded my livingroom and my wife FREAKED. What are some other disease's that look like ich?
I forgot to mention that my clowns top fin is tatered and torn. All my fish are peacefull and he is the most agressive in the tank.
Need to update, I just checked and he has no white spots on him He has been in hospital tank for about 15 hours with treatment from copper. Would the ich (if it is ich) fall off that fast?

al mc

Beth,
I have encountered this theory in my reading also and will try to find the link. It is not a 'new' theory as I read it at least a year or so ago.
Al

mie

Need to update, I just checked and he has no white spots on him He has been in hospital tank for about 15 hours with treatment from copper. Would the ich (if it is ich) fall off that fast?
Any takers?

beth

Administrator
Staff member
It will fall off due to the life cycle process, not the copper.
Can you post a picture of this fish?

cranberry

I've heard this and read about it online. I think I have some reading about it somewhere.... I'll look but I think all my ich resources are in the garage. I don't really buy it though, because of a personal experience. If some are self-limiting, that's one thing, but I have a fish that I had no explanation as to how he got it, except that he brought it in 2-1/2 years earlier.

mie

Originally Posted by Beth
http:///forum/post/3168590
It will fall off due to the life cycle process, not the copper.
Can you post a picture of this fish?
The fish looks fine no spots at all. Could you comment on posible reasons behind tattered dorsal fin?

mie

Ok I just checked and it appears his mouth is a little swollen and a little reddish in color. He is not swiiming or eating just hanging out at the bottom in the corner hovering off the bottom.
He has a few white stringy lookin things in his mouth. Could he be infeststed with isopods?