Why still selling Wild Bangaii Cardinals?

9supratt4

Why is Saltwaterfish still selling wild caught Bangaii Cardinals?? They have not be added to an endangered species list, but everyone in the hobby knows that they are endangered...so why still sell wild caught when captive bred are available out there?

speg

Originally Posted by 9supratt4
http:///forum/post/3284681
Why is Saltwaterfish still selling wild caught Bangaii Cardinals?? They have not be added to an endangered species list, but everyone in the hobby knows that they are endangered...so why still sell wild caught when captive bred are available out there?
Probably because there is a demand. The best thing we can do is to just not buy it and ask others to not buy wild caught (as much as possible) and maybe stores will stop selling them.
I don't think that many coral at all should be taken from the wild anymore. Fragging has REALLY taken off.

ibanez

IMO, the problem is not that they are being sold, it is that they are being caught. Saltwaterfish.com, offers the fish that are being caught, they are not the ones catching the fish. If these fish don't get sold it's not like they are going to be released back into the ocean. So at least they can have some sort of life in out display tanks instead of crowded into holding tanks. The coloration is also slightly different which to some may be appealing.

saltwaterfish.com

Administrator
Staff member
That's a great question, 9supratt4.
There are many sides to the issue, and we have been involved with the Banggai question for years. Our view is that we always prefer the captive bred livestock over wild caught... when available. In fact, we often price the captive bred at or below the wild caught specimens to encourage purchase even though the captive bred animals cost us much more. In the case of the Banggai, we have relationships with NGO's in Indonesia, that we support, that are working on the Banggai question. It goes much deeper than what the trade publications report. I encourage you to visit saltwatersense.com and read up on the issue and in particular our efforts from last year to support LINI, an Indonesian NGO working to assist the people of the Banggai islands: http://saltwaterfish.typepad.com/ret...servation.html
Our view is that we do not actively buy wild caught Banggai but they do occasionally show up with the orders we receive. The deeper question today is where are all the captive bred Banggai? Like many captive bred livestock today, availability is very low to impossible to find. Not because of demand, but because of lack of demand at the consumer level which has reduced large scale production. We support aquaculture on every level. Why not check out the newly introduced Spotted mandarin aquacultured by ORA and just released this week. We are one of the first to have them. https://www.saltwaterfish.com/ORA-Aqu...ed_p_3659.html
I hope that helps.
Scott

speg

Dang..I've been waiting for one of these dragonets to hit the market and I missed it! I hope they get the mandarin out soon.
Good post btw Scott - It's refreshing to see a seller care about their merchandise. Much props.