why???????

is ro/di water a necessity and not a luxury.. i dont want to spend anymore money ...ahhhhhhh..this hobby is gonna be alot more expensive than i planned oh well ill be aquarium broke....you all are so great...

krunk

WEll, i am using tap water. but the hair algae is out of control. its gettin better but its making my tank look nasty...

overanalyzer

RO/DI is not totally necessary but it all comes down to what you want to do ... I buy my water at the grocery store or LFS ... sometimes when desperate I've used distilled water - BUT the tank I've used distillied water in has had red slime problems for a couple of weeks now ..... Remember algea and other nusiance plants and critters feed off of the stuff in the non-ro/di water ....

tangman99

Chlorine is not what you buy RO/DI to get rid of. You have to remove the chlorine regardless of what you use. The main advantage of the RO/DI is to get rid of all TDS (totally disolved solids) especially the Phosphates and Silicates.

dreeves

In addition to removing Chlorine...the RO/DI water will also remove the negative and positive ions...such as nitrate, silicates, phosphates, the TDS as mentioned above, and numerous other hard metals.
Most of the items a system will remove are nutrients for micro algea to consume and flourish.
Also, this is a very expensive hobby with continuous on going expenses for maintenance and such...one needs to weigh everything prior to venturing into this...without being able to purchase things in which you need, it will usually be a failure and very disappointing....been there done that. Now I pay

[hr]
, truck payment and aquarium stuff...then all those optional things...food, electricity, etc...

S

simm

Well that is one thing for sure about this hobby. It dosent come cheep. I use treated well water BUT Im slowly changing to RO. I dont have alge problems but I can not seem to control my nitrates. Even with a 3/4 water change Im still at 40ppm and the red slime has been unbearable as well.:(

acez28

im in memphis and i use tap water.....we have pretty good water but i dont have any algae and very little diatoms. I dont know if i am just lucky or what but its been ok. But my QT tank is another thing.....diatoms are bad in that tank. But it has no snails or hermits either. But red algae and hair algae i havent ever had a problem with.

S

simm

Originally posted by Kipass4130
Simm,
how is your bioload? are you feeding too much? Do you have a DSB and is it healthy? Are you running a fuge with caulerpa?

No Im not running caulerpa or a fuge yet. Its in the works. Im not over feeding either. Have over 120lbs or LR and a 4" dsb. I have tested our well water and it is definatly high with trates. I think this is where its comming from. Thats why Iam switching over to RO. I dont think Im over stocked yet. I have a 100 gallon. Ill try the caulpra and nitrate sponge. Thanks for the info. :)

timo

Originally posted by dreeves
Also, this is a very expensive hobby with continuous on going expenses for maintenance and such.

Whew... If you had told me this before I started...I STILL WOULD DO IT!
Thanks for the raise, boss!!!, to keep me in fish!!!