wierd snail

aquajon

i was sitting down to eat my dinner and looked up at the fish tank to see this snail reered up on its foot,, squirting some sort of stuff out of it... is this normal? the snails shell looked like it was 1/2 of a clam shell or something, it is something i have not see before in my tank. also is this something i should try to remove.. oh and it gets better, having never seen the first one before, a few mins later i noticed a 2nd one.

jrpage

Sorry I have no idea what they are but I will be watching this thread to find out!!!
Best wishes!!

I am 95% sure that this is a stomatella snail. A rather common hitchiker that comes in on some of the better LR. They breed readily in your system exactly as you described. Good find!

aquajon

your right a digital camera would help, but i am still using my old 35mm till then,,,, so is this a good or bad snail? i have not added any new rock in quite some time. i guess it was just time for this snail to finially come out of hideing..

jlem

Somebody bought a 20 dollar digital camera at wallgreens I think. The pictures actually looked really good. That may be an option for you.

aquajon

well after doing a search for stomatella snails on here,, it sounds and looks like that is what i have,, pretty cool i guess, espically if i do end up with some baby ones, it was just kind of neat to see the first one releasing stuff into the tank and just a few mins later the 2nd one did it also, i guess they have some sort of underwater phone to tell the other one when to release the goods into the water..