Wife got bit by a rattlesnake..........

tx reef

My wife got bit by a rattlesnake yesterday. We were at my deer lease scouting a new place to set up a feeder in the woods. She is following behind me and I hear her scream. She stepped on a 3 ft. rattlesnake. I had stepped over it.
I then carried her about 300 yards to where the truck was parked (you can't drive to where we were at) and drove her to the hospital as fast as the truck would go.
We spent part of the evening at the hospital, but luckily it was a dry bite (no venom was injected). I don't know how I would have lived with myself if the worst had happened.
I ordered both of us snake proof chaps........

fish4ever

you know you can remove the venom if you act quickly, right? You need to cut small "X's" through the bite marks and then suck the venom out. That may not get it all but It does work, and will help slow the effect of it.

S

smartorl

She was very lucky! I am glad that it ended the way it did but those must have been some tense times! She needs to go out and buy lottery tickets!

perfectdark

Good point.. just remember DONT SWALLOW!! whew good news though... close call...Rattle snakes giving dry bites dont know how common that is, but your wife was very lucky... and with you stepping over it like you did I bet it was already a bit agitated... Good news and man what a workout you had.

luca brasi

From about. coms health center-
DO NOT
* DO NOT allow the person to become over-exerted. If necessary, carry the person to safety.
* DO NOT apply a tourniquet.
* DO NOT apply cold compresses to a snake bite.
* DO NOT cut into a snake bite with a knife or razor.
* DO NOT try to suction the venom by mouth.
* DO NOT give the person stimulants or pain medications unless instructed to do so by a doctor.
* DO NOT give the person anything by mouth.
* DO NOT raise the site of the bite above the level of the person's heart.

scotts

WOW, as someone who spent 4 days in the hospital and had to have an angioplasty due to a black widow spider bite I have to say how luck you were.
For all others reading this, if you are bit by anything call your local poison control center, that is what they are there for. Actually that is what the hospital did when I was there.

perfectdark

Originally Posted by Vpotts28
Ouch!! Glad she's okay. Did you see it, or did you accidentally step over it and not see it?

Naaa I saw it... I just thought it would be a hoot not to say anything and see how my wife reacted... LMAO...

Sorry I had too... but it was a joke... OH COME ON I KNOW YOU ALL WERE THINKING IT.

vpotts28

I was laughing. Because the way he described it was like, I just stepped over it. Kind of cruel joke to let the wife find out on her own. Its like inviting your wife to go rock climbing....oops...she fell off. In hindsight it really was a stupid post of mine. Sorry boys and girls, haven't had a full cup of coffee yet.

jtrzerocool

Originally Posted by PerfectDark
Naaa I saw it... I just thought it would be a hoot not to say anything and see how my wife reacted... LMAO...

Sorry I had too... but it was a joke... OH COME ON I KNOW YOU ALL WERE THINKING IT.
i was thinking the same thing...

however on a serious note i am very glad to hear that it was a dry bite.
very lucky!

perfectdark

Originally Posted by Vpotts28
I was laughing. Because the way he described it was like, I just stepped over it. Kind of cruel joke to let the wife find out on her own. Its like inviting your wife to go rock climbing....oops...she fell off. In hindsight it really was a stupid post of mine. Sorry boys and girls, haven't had a full cup of coffee yet.

LMAO Its all good but I couldnt let that one go..

groupergenius

Glad to hear she is fine. I'll bet she has a nice little bruise though. Same thing happened to me 2 years ago. A 4' Eastern Diamondback hit me in the calf. I was happy as heck to see he didn't penetrate the skin, but it felt like someone smacked me with a baseball bat. Nasty bruise for a few days.
BTW, the snake did not come out of it as good as I did.

vpotts28

Again, glad to hear she is alright. I'm sure it was quite frightening. Didn't mean to make light of it.

L

lsu

Originally Posted by fish4ever
you know you can remove the venom if you act quickly, right? You need to cut small "X's" through the bite marks and then suck the venom out. That may not get it all but It does work, and will help slow the effect of it.

Wow. Glad to hear it was a dry bite. Sucking the venom out is not advised. Even if you do not swallow, the venom can enter your blood through a cut in your mouth. Snake proof chaps are worth their weight in gold. I was bit by a copperhead in high school, lets just say it sucks really bad, and a copperheads venom is nowhere near as bad as a rattler. After the bite I got a pair of chaps, they've protected me from two seperate cottonmouth bites while wading through marsh. I never go in the field wtihout them.

fish4ever

I know it is not advised, but when you are really far from the hospital or place of health service...it is for means of desperation to help. My dad grew up in the rockies and actually saved his friends life cause he did that. Even though they were both sick for a while.

nigerbang

Wow...thats scary...
I got bit by a copperhead once....It wasnt a dry bite...Tell her I said she is very lucky..Its a terrible and painful experience...

H

huskychasrs

Glad to hear she's OK!
Not to hijack this thread...In '99 mid-May (all of this happened in one day).
I had a black widow in my shower, almost stepped on a rattler at Tom Steed Resevoir, and while I'm eatin dinner that evening the tornado sirens start going off. The news said it ended up being just straight line winds...enough to blow out alot of windows of Altus HS.
I do not like tornado alley!

isistius

wow. that's all i can say. she is very very lucky indeed. i wish her the best in her recovery (Thank god it was a dry bite)