Wife wants a Seahorse tank

deton8it

My wife has been wanting a Seahorse tank for about a year now but I've never had one so I have a few questions for you guys and girls. First of all, my wife's stocking list (subject to change) would be 4-5 Hippocampus Erectus, 2 pipefish, and a mandarin fish. I think that is too much of a bio-load for a small tank but you guys and girls are the experts. Will a 20 Tall with normal stock lighting work for a tank? I read that I need a sump or refugium. Any particular size? I'm thinking another 20 gal. I also read that they are messy eaters so a skimmer will be needed. Will a HOB skimmer work or do I need something bigger? Some people say Live Rock, others say no rock. What are the pro's and cons?
Thank you.
John

flower

Hi,
A 20 tall will do fine, I just purchased a 56g column and I will use a 20g tall for the sump...the foot print of the column is about the same as the 20g...just a little wider 24 X 24 X 18..
I bet you would be much happier with it. The equipment that I have on my 30g with a 30g sump will work on the new tank...even the light because the legs are adjustable. So the equipment requirments are pretty much the same as the 20g. but the results are much better.
My stock list:
4 Erectus SHs
2 Yellow clown gobies
1 hectors goby
5 peppermint shrimp
2 feather duster fan worms
65 snails (Nassarius, Nerite and Cerith)
Sea horses are indeed messy eaters...we train them to eat from a feeding dish, and like puppies they come right there for dinner. That helps allot on the mess. The gobies, shrimp and snails eat the drifting food that escapes.
The SHs are as easy to care for as any regular fish...HOWEVER...be sure to purchase captive bred horses that have been trained to eat frozen Mysis. There is a certain way to feed them, and we can teach that trick to get them to the feeding dish. Also you must be careful of what you add with them.( as you already know)..Also they need cooler temps.
With a sump/refugium you can have a mandarin but not right away. I seeded my fuge with copepods and amphipods, the horses won't eat copepods, they are too small...they love the amphipods, and hunt around the rocks constantly for a yummy snack.

deton8it

Ok, there may be a change of plans. I currently have a 90 gal reef but I'm thinking of down sizing to a 40 breeder or a corner tank. I might do that and then give her my 90 for a SH tank. Is there a tank too large?

deton8it

Oh yea, my LFS breeds their own SH so I know they are tank raised. They aren't the normal LFS though. They have Dolphins and Sea Lions too (not for sale). Thanks for the advice though. Good looking out.

teresaq

wait, wait, wait.
Flower, you know a 20 gal is too small lol
one pair might do ok in a 20, but imo its too small. I always suggest at least a 29 gal for one or two pairs.
I would go even lrger if you want to add a mandrine, you would need to seed your tank good, and make sure its eatting frozen. It will wipe out a small tank of pods in short time.
Wild caught pipes should not be added to captive bred horses. There are too many pathogens that can be passed on to the captive bred horses that they are not use to and can cause bacterial infections.
I have seen a few places starting to breed captive bred blue strip pipes. I'm pretty sure btl just got a small pair. If you can get them from the same source it would be much better. There are several seahorse breeders here in Fla. Shoot if you lived closer, I have 15 juvis myself
I didnt see the post about the 90
The 90 would be great. you could have 4 to 5 pairs. just rem
just remember you will need a chiller to keep temps below 77 degrees, preferably around 75.

teresaq

If you use the 90, I would do dry base rock, like marco rock to keep hitchhikers like brissle worms, crabs, and aptasia to a nill. nice columns and macro algeas, and photo gorgians for hitches.

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeresaQ http:///t/387746/wife-wants-a-seahorse-tank#post_3414043
If you use the 90, I would do dry base rock, like marco rock to keep hitchhikers like brissle worms, crabs, and aptasia to a nill. nice columns and macro algeas, and photo gorgians for hitches.
Sorry about the 20g thing...I was thinking tall tank. I did all dry sand and base rock to prevent hitchhikers that sting. The 90g would make an awesome SH tank.

deton8it

I think my rock would be fine. The only crabs I have are hermit crabs (that's what she said). I don't have any Aptasia either. The majority of my rock was grown myself. I started with dry base rock 3 years ago. Today, its purple.

flower

It's a beautiful tank...but the crabs have to go. Just remove one rock at a time and put it in a tub of SW as you go and pick out all and any crabs.... or .... Put a chunk of shrimp in there, and when they come to dine remove them...keep doing that until they are all removed.
I'm not sure why hermits and serpent stars are bad, I just know I have been warned that they are. I know my SHs hug the coral and rock, and stay in one place for long periods even the algae grows on them, maybe such CUC critters think they are meals.

deton8it

Thank you for the compliment. So only snails for a CUC? Also, I'm confused, 20 Tall is or is not big enough?
Thanks
John

teresaq

you might get away with one pair in a 20, but they do get quit lrg at 6 to 8 inches or lrger. you also would not be able to have any tank mates. if you want more the just two horses, then you would need a lrger tank.
I dont recommend kelloggii horses, most are pen raised and do not have a good track record for survival. these horses also get up to 12 inches
as for hermits. if they are tiny, and or scarlot then they are ok, just watch them close. They can pinch tails while the horses are resting or sleeping.
Take a look at the compatibility thread at the top of this forum. There are some fish that are fine. It also has corals that are compatible.
Your 90 is beautiful - that elephant shroom is huge and would be a risk to horses.

deton8it

Quote:
- that elephant shroom is huge and would be a risk to horses.
Its funny you say that. It ate both of my clowns last week. I was on the phone with my LFS earlier today to see if they'll buy it back. If they wont it's cool, I have another buyer lined up.

deton8it

I agree, the are beautiful. That's why I bought it. This is actually a Giant Cup Mushroom. I owned Elephant Ears when I lived in Alaska and they were never a problem. I have about 7 of them in here too. You can see 3 of them to the right of the Kenys tree. This Giant Cup is a totally different beast. I don't want to get rid of it but it's too expensive to keep. LOL

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deton8it http:///t/387746/wife-wants-a-seahorse-tank#post_3414066
Thank you for the compliment. So only snails for a CUC? Also, I'm confused, 20 Tall is or is not big enough?
Thanks
John
Hi,
I was thinking tall, but the smallest tank size would be a 30g so the 20 tall would be too small. TerseaQ is our Sea horse expert, she even has babies that made it. She corrected my error on the tank size.

teresaq

Flower, LOL I'm definitely no expert, ha ha but I have had horses for quite a few yrs, and have managed to raise 27 babies to adulthood. Believe me I have made my share of mistakes and have lost horses for stupid reasons. I try to learn from my mistakes and help other not make the same ones.

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeresaQ http:///t/387746/wife-wants-a-seahorse-tank#post_3414174
Flower, LOL I'm definitely no expert, ha ha but I have had horses for quite a few yrs, and have managed to raise 27 babies to adulthood. Believe me I have made my share of mistakes and have lost horses for stupid reasons. I try to learn from my mistakes and help other not make the same ones.
LOL...I call my Gurus as I find them. 2Quills is my plumbing expert, Acrylic51 and Al&Burke are the acrylic builders, Spanko and Florida Joe are my fish professors....And you are my Sea horse expert. There will always be those on the site that just always seem to be there and we learn to count on them. That doesn't mean others have no advice, they certainly do, it's just that some really shine in certain areas.

travelerjp98

don't forget about cranberry and saxman being the scorp experts!
... and I am?.... LOL... I don't expect anything.