Wife would like a seahorse tank...or is it a corral?

socal57che

My wife asked if we could set up a seahorse tank a few months ago and I told her I would research the issue. We have 2 10 gal freshwater setups from years ago. I am looking for people that have experience with horses and pipes to squeeze for information.
First is 10 gal enough for a half dozen combined pipes and horses?
What is a good beginner horse?
What plant life do you recommend? (I'm in CA)
Preferred substrate?
Any common diseses I should be aware of?
Acclimation?
Suggested reading material?
Any info will be greatly appreciated!

bronco300

10 gallon is going to be to small for most seahorses besides dwarf seahorses (h. zosterae) and maybe zulu lulu seahorses...both however are much more sensitive...the dwarves need live brine shrimp at least twice per day...the zulu lulu need colder waters and some other specifics...they take a lot of commitment, i have dwarves and trading them out because with everything else i don't get the time to just sit and watch them like i used to...but they are amazing to watch

darthtang aw

First is 10 gal enough for a half dozen combined pipes and horses?
No. Saltwater is far different than freshwater. You might be able to squeeze two horses in a ten gallon depending on species. or two pipefish. But that would be the maximum. You could fit about 8 dwarf seahorses but as a beginner I would NOT recommend dwarves as a starter horse.
What is a good beginner horse?
Reidi or Kuda are great for starters. Possibly Erectus...but they are a bit touchy than the first two.
What plant life do you recommend? (I'm in CA)
Depends on your lighting set up. The easiest is fake plants with live rock to help grow pods. But if you have good lighting I recommend Caulerpa (red or green) and some of the blade grasses.
Preferred substrate?
Live sand
Any common diseses I should be aware of?
How long you got? There are about 10 common diseases I could go into.
Acclimation?
Drip acclimation for 3 hours.
Suggested reading material?
I have yet to find a real good single book for seahorses on the market at the moment. If I had to pick one book that is still in circulation and print it would be Seahorses: Conservation and Care
by
Neil Garrick-Maidment.
I actually prefer the internet for horse research....Just google seahorse and the first site that pops up in the list is probably the best info source on the market.

bronco300

Originally Posted by rara12
Can they be put in a tank with corals?

should be careful with some since teh seahorses latch to everything...if its something that stings then dont put it in or the horse will have a good chance of getting stung as well.

rara12

So not a good choice for a reef tank i guess...The only corals that will be in the tank are sun coral, zoos, mushrooms, leathers, and maybe a long tenticle plate coral down the road, still a bad idea for a sea horse?

darthtang aw

Most reef tanks require a really high flow rate in them...roughly 25 times. Seahorses need about 5 times flow rate especially when young...this is the main difficulty with mixxing corals and reef creature with horses, it can be done but selection is VERY limited.

socal57che

Many thanks guys.
I will buy a bigger tank before starting.
Reida specimens look nice. Am I better to introduce singly, as pairs or as groups of more than two?
I live in CA...many caulerpa varieties are considered invasive and not allowed (illegal to possess) in CA. I'll have to research this to see what I can and cannot have.

darthtang aw

Originally Posted by socal57che
Many thanks guys.
I will buy a bigger tank before starting.
Reida specimens look nice. Am I better to introduce singly, as pairs or as groups of more than two?
I live in CA...many caulerpa varieties are considered invasive and not allowed (illegal to possess) in CA. I'll have to research this to see what I can and cannot have.

Pairs or groups are ideal. Figure out how many you want and then get the tank. A good base to remember....two horses per 15 gallons. That is the easiest way. Some specieas vary on this average but for most beginner horses this will do perfect as a guideline. Tall tanks are much better than long tanks as their mating dance is vertical.

socal57che

Thanks so much for the info.
We're moving in a few months and want to be in our new place before we set up. This should give me time to do more research.

poniegirl

Hi socal57!
My first thought is that if you have not had a saltwater system before, seahorses will not be a good starter fish.
Have you had saltwater before?

socal57che

Originally Posted by PonieGirl
Hi socal57!
My first thought is that if you have not had a saltwater system before, seahorses will not be a good starter fish.
Have you had saltwater before?
um...yeah. 75gal and 100gal
the freshie tanks are from over 10yrs ago.

poniegirl

Socal, Thank you and my apologies! Beautiful photos!
The best starter seahorses are considered to be kuda and erectus. Both of these species should attain an adult length of possibly 8 inches, so they should be housed in a tank of at least 30 gallons for two of them.
Seahorses should have a good flow of nutrient (at least feeding twice per day) which also means high waste factors. A small tank will be a lot of work to maintain water quality.
As diseases go, a captive bred seahorse that you see eating (mysis shrimp preferably)before purchase, or have a guarantee on; one that is QT'd should not have issues. Seahorses do have some species specific ailments, gas bubble disease and pouch emphysema for instance. The cause of these diseases are not absolute today. If the seahorse is bloated looking or has trouble smimming straight and steady, these are bad signs.
My suggestion would be to go with same --- pairs. Breeding seahorses is easy. Raising the fry is not.

socal57che

Originally Posted by PonieGirl
Socal, Thank you and my apologies! Beautiful photos!
No apology necessary. I just though it odd that you didn't recognize me. I wouldn't really call myself an "old schooler" more like a slow learner. I tend to read more than I post and many of those are in the aquarium. I've been reading your posts on horses and have learned much. For instance the neosporin mentioned here: https://forums.saltwaterfish.com/t/273019/need-help-asap#post_2150338
I really do appreciate all the info... just seems weird that we haven't crossed paths.

poniegirl

Maybe not so odd...I stay away from the coral discussions, which it seems might be an interest of yours...seahorses have been my main reason for keeping saltwater tanks, at all.
Mention seahorses and viola...! Crossing paths!

Nice to meet you! Nice avatar, also..
I lost my two girls last fall and, after keeping them for 3 and 4 years, I felt ready for a break from the feeding schedule. And the need for a seahorse sitter when I wanted to get away! So I'm horseless right now. I think in the coming fall I'll find another pair.
Until then, I'll keep vicariously through this wonderful new board!

ezrwc

I have had a 35 gallon sea horse, pipe fisf tank set up for sometime now. I have even had one mated pair give birth. (baby ponies are not an easy thing to raise at all!) First thing I found out is that you should by all means, never ever get wild cought sea horses. Not too many left in the wild first off, and also they will not eat frozen food most the time. Stay Away!!! As for corals you can have them in your tank, but what I have found is because of the sea horses wanting to hitch on everything in the tank...some corals may not take to that and die off or stay closed more often and not look good. Find sponges or corols that make good hitching post. The more the better. Remember also that sea horses will take on colors of what is around them so find the colors you like. When you do introduce coral or live rock look for anemones and worms! Anemones will sting and kill your sea horse that loves to hitch on everything. Bristle workms will eat your babies if you are lucky enough to breed. If you want to find out more you can go to oceanrider.com They breed sea horses...not wild remember!

socal57che

Had planned on a dedicated seahorse tank without any coral or anemones. I have seen large decorative fake sponge branches and was considering a few peices along with live greenery for them to cling to. Again, thanks to everyone for the input.