will 2 200 watt heaters heat a 125g?

erock412

both heaters are in their own 55g's and heat them fine. i know the math, and the 125 is 15g more than 2 X 55 but with all the LR in place, i think they'd be okay? for the time being, probably for another month or 2, they'll be running in-tank, but once i get a sump/refugium together, they'll be headed into that.

natclanwy

They should be fine, the general rule of thumb is 5 watts per gallon. It really depends on the difference in temperature between the room and the aquarium and the amount of evaporation. The bigger the difference in temperature and the more evaporaton you have will require more wattage to heat the tank.

erock412

i keep my house pretty warm, and i have a decent amount of LR going in so it wont really even be 125g. as far as evaporation goes, i wont know until i get the new tank up and running, but i figure if they dont do the job, the tank will stay reasonably warm while i go to replace one, or both.

saltlife

I have a 150w and a 250w in my 120 and its in a finished basement which is pretty chilly most of the time. They have no problem reaching temp.