Will Cleaner Shrimp kill Peppermint Shrimp?

tirtza

I had two Peppermint Shrimp for nearly 2 months..... then I got a really large Cleaner Shrimp and the 1st thing it did was take over the cave where the 2 little Peppermints had been living. One by one the 2 Peppermints disappeared. I had no idea why the Peppermints disappeared. I thought perhaps it was something I did!? I waited several weeks and then this past Saturday I added two new little Peppermints to my aquarium.....by Sunday there was only one Peppermint left. Yesterday I noticed my Cleaner Shrimp chasing and harassing the single Peppermint shrimp still there (this was during feeding time). Today I've been looking and looking but I can't seem to find that last Peppermint shrimp. I'm afraid my Cleaner Shrimp is a serial killer.
Has anyone had any experience with Cleaner Shrimp killing Peppermints? I didn't think Cleaner Shrimp were aggressive, am I wrong?

bang guy

All Cleaner Shrimps are canabilistic. They are all safe with each other only if they are similar in size.
FYI - Peppermint Shrimp are a species of Cleaner Shrimp.

tirtza

Oh my gosh! I had no idea! I did my research.....I can't believe I didn't know this! I feel so guilty.... I sentenced those poor Peppermints to death :(
Oh no! My hubby just announced two seconds ago (as I was writing this) that he just spotted the single peppermint still there! Should I take it out? It's probably going to be pretty hard to catch, they are so shy. What should I do?

bang guy

My thought is that having the other species (L. amboinensis?) stressed the L. wurdemanni (Peppermints) and they went into hiding to molt. The fact that one is now visible is very encouraging. Would not surprise me if the other popped up somewhere tomorrow.

tirtza

If the 2nd peppermint doesn't show up, should I take out the peppermint that's left and give him back to the LFS. It might be the more humane thing to do....yes or no? Then again the stress of moving him may just kill him. I feel so guilty about the poor little guy. I don't know what to do???

bang guy

If it were me I would leave it. It will grow fast. It has already shown that it has an effective hiding spot.

spanko

There is always a risk in adding two or more Lysmata genus to a tank, especially a tank in your size range. Like Bang said if they were closer in size they would have a better chance "getting along" with each other.
I would not try to get the one out. Only gonna disrupt what you have been trying to achieve since setting up your tank, stability.

tirtza

Thanks guys! So far the one peppermint has been doing well. It comes out when it's feeding time (I'm able to place food near it using some tongs). I still haven't seen the 2nd one so I'm guessing that one is a gonner. Hopefully 'Paddy' the peppermint grows quickly. Will the peppermint shrimp eventually be the same size as the skunk cleaner shrimp?

bang guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by tirtza http:///t/389242/will-cleaner-shrimp-kill-peppermint-shrimp#post_3439259
Thanks guys! So far the one peppermint has been doing well. It comes out when it's feeding time (I'm able to place food near it using some tongs). I still haven't seen the 2nd one so I'm guessing that one is a gonner. Hopefully 'Paddy' the peppermint grows quickly. Will the peppermint shrimp eventually be the same size as the skunk cleaner shrimp?
It will grow close to the size of the Skunk Cleaner but it will always be 1/4" or so smaller.
I just wanted to nore that L. wurdemanni are nocturnal by nature so your missing Shrimp may only be coming out at night. You can entice them to stay out in the day by hand feeding them.