Will dropping the price of Music CD's save them?

el guapo

http://new.music.yahoo.com/godsmack/...ales--62000139
I don't really think this is going to do much for the industry. Its just my opinion but CD's are a thing of the past. The majority of homes have personal MP3 players as well as home systems that are Digitally compatible in some way. Honestly I do miss the cover art but when you can sample and buy songs from i tunes for 99.-1.99, Why would you purchase a whole album anymore? Maybe this will force artists to focus effort on the entire album rather than a few radio tracks.
Digital> Cd's> Cassette tapes> 8 Tracks> Records

darthtang aw

I actually still buy CDs, I want entire albums, the cover art, the little info inside...all of it. Can't have a musician autograph your IPOD, but you can a CD.....and I have several.

bionicarm

The only time I buy a CD any longer is if the CD for that artist has more than 7 songs on it that I like. The only place I listen to CD's is in my car, primarily because my 2004 doesn't have an auxilary jack to hook my IPhone to. I could make a CD loaded with my MP's that will play on my car's CD player, but it's too much of a hassle to do. Like you said, I can pick and choose the songs I like on Itunes, grabbing songs from a variety of artisits, and pay essentially what I would for a single CD of just one artist.
I like your timeline of the advancement of music technology. Makes you wonder what the next step will be. I mean, where can you take it? Digital music can be heard from virtually every medium out there - portable MP3 devices, TV, computer, and satellite transmissions. I guess they can imbed some digital receiving device into your ear canal. You can use mental telpathy to determine what songs you want to hear.

bionicarm

Come on Darth. That's what the concert T-shirts are for. I will agree with you about the inserts that come with a CD. If it wasn't for the insert that showed all the actual lyrics of the songs on the CD, I don't think I'd know any of the words to any song Elton John ever sang.

darthtang aw

Originally Posted by bionicarm
http:///forum/post/3250046
The only time I buy a CD any longer is if the CD for that artist has more than 7 songs on it that I like.

If the artist can't produce a CD with a decent amount of good songs on it, They don't get my money.....You are the reason so many artists only make one or two hits but stay on the radio with those singles forever.

el guapo

I personally am a fan of the entire album concept. But a lot of artists just are not giving the moneys worth to purchase an entire album. As far as the inserts for CD's goes. You can pull up lyrics online in a matter of seconds. I also like the convenience of my entire music library at the touch of a finger. I can go from Anthrax to Johnny Cash to DMX to ZZ Top to David Allen Coe to G Unit in just a few finger strokes.
As far as getting Autographs ? I sure as hell am not going to shell out 50-100 bucks to go see shows with the chance to meet a member or two of the band. Most bands will play a few old favorites and then some of their new garbage mixed in with the new single. Sorry I'll save the 50+ for a ticket, 30$ T shirt and 7$ beers .

darthtang aw

Originally Posted by EL GUAPO
http:///forum/post/3250077
As far as getting Autographs ? I sure as hell am not going to shell out 50-100 bucks to go see shows with the chance to meet a member or two of the band. Most bands will play a few old favorites and then some of their new garbage mixed in with the new single. Sorry I'll save the 50+ for a ticket, 30$ T shirt and 7$ beers .

You have been going to the wrong shows then.....

reefraff

I want a thumb drive player, Pop your music into the computer in whatever form it is, shoot it to the thumb and plug it into whatever you want to listen to it through.

uneverno

The industry that treats its income producers like crap and its customers like criminals deserves what it gets.

crypt keeper

Originally Posted by uneverno
http:///forum/post/3250130
The industry that treats its income producers like crap and its customers like criminals deserves what it gets.
well when you download their music off the internet for free you are stealing. What do you want them to do? How about I come to your job take your work turn it in as my own and you dont get paid. You wouldnt like that crap now would you? I buy Cd's.

aquaknight

Originally Posted by crypt keeper
http:///forum/post/3251048
well when you download their music off the internet for free you are stealing. What do you want them to do? How about I come to your job take your work turn it in as my own and you dont get paid. You wouldnt like that crap now would you? I buy Cd's.
He could be referring to DRMs and other issues with digital media, which if he was, I have the same complaint. I bought the songs off iTunes, I should be able to what I want with them. Thankfully, they are going by the wayside...

uneverno

Originally Posted by crypt keeper
http:///forum/post/3251048
well when you download their music off the internet for free you are stealing. What do you want them to do? How about I come to your job take your work turn it in as my own and you dont get paid. You wouldnt like that crap now would you?
Please don't make inferences from my statements. I don't recall having endorsed downloading music (or any other copyrighted material) off the internet - for free. I meant specifically and precisely what I said.
As the artist, I've been on the other side of that equation. Having gotten ripped off by my agents, lawyers and producers who were, in theory, in my employ, it - ummmm - goes both ways.
How would you like it if I came to your job, promised you royalties for your work, turned it in as my own and you didn't get paid. You wouldn't like that crap now, would you?
I buy Cd's.
Good for you. I honestly applaud that. I wish more people felt the same way.

jchase1970

I have not bought a cd in years, but my wife still buys some. I get everything off the internet, getting only the songs I want and then composing my own cds. I think the buy what you want model is the best thing every done from music. I have no desire what so ever to buy a cd, other then maybe something from a local band that I can't support online.

stdreb27

I've purchased tons of CD that I would have never purchased had I not downloaded a torrent and ran across the artist or CD...

mrdc

I won't help save cds after all those years of raping me out of $8 for a cd single!!! I have a membership to Rhapsody and I have a recorder that I can use to record streaming music off youtube.