Will I ever be able to add another fish?

sac10918

Hi Everyone
I posted on here about a week ago. I thought that my only fish inhabitant, a B&W saddleback clown might have had Ich. Well, basically I am still not certain what is going on there. He looks great (no spots) for the past 4 or 5 days, and he is eating and seems happy. My QT is winding down on it cycle, and I am wondering if I will ever be able to add another fish. I am not looking to add a fish soon, but maybe in the next few months...
My understanding is that Ich could be in my tank (from adding unquarantined corals and inverts), but that my clown is healthy so he is not showing signs. If and when I add another fish (after QTing for 6 weeks), would it not be possible for the Ich that might already be in the tank to manifest itself on the new addition if this new fish is stressed or has a weaker immune system?
What is my best option here? To wait it out for a few months and see that my clown remains Ich free, then add a new fish after Qting for 6 weeks? Or, am I missing something here?

sepulatian

Originally Posted by sac10918
http:///forum/post/2495286
Hi Everyone
I posted on here about a week ago. I thought that my only fish inhabitant, a B&W saddleback clown might have had Ich. Well, basically I am still not certain what is going on there. He looks great (no spots) for the past 4 or 5 days, and he is eating and seems happy. My QT is winding down on it cycle, and I am wondering if I will ever be able to add another fish. I am not looking to add a fish soon, but maybe in the next few months...
My understanding is that Ich could be in my tank (from adding unquarantined corals and inverts), but that my clown is healthy so he is not showing signs. If and when I add another fish (after QTing for 6 weeks), would it not be possible for the Ich that might already be in the tank to manifest itself on the new addition if this new fish is stressed or has a weaker immune system?
What is my best option here? To wait it out for a few months and see that my clown remains Ich free, then add a new fish after Qting for 6 weeks? Or, am I missing something here?
If you are worried about ich in your display then add your clown to the quarantine tank, once it is fully cycled, for 3-4 weeks. Just observe him. If there are parasites in the display then they will die without the host. If the clown has parasites then you will see them within that time.

perfectdark

IMO if there is a doubt at all, better to be safe than sorry. If you goal is to add another fish but not for a while, I would take the B&W saddle back out and quarantine it with hypo for the recomended time. Leave your tank fallow, and let the ich cycle take its course. Its not going to hurt anything and as a precautionary measure once this is all done you can be sure the next fish you add will be getting added to a parasite free DT. just my 2 cents.