Will it live?

kdfrosty

I received this frag of Palythoa (button polyps) in a frag trade. It was shipped via USPS Priority mail from El Paso, TX to Albuquerque, NM (appx. 250 miles). It arrived 2 days after it was mailed. The frag was still in water, but the water was murky brown, and stunk ALOT.
-WILL IT LIVE?
-Should I even have this frag in my tank, will it cause a large ammonia spike?

dogstar

If your tanks not too small then I would not worry about a spike. Buttons are pretty hardy and IMO hard to kill so give em time.

scotts

Hey dude, how are they today? I personally think there are signs of hope. Sure the big colonies may have a rough time and may not make it, but the smaller polyps by themself look like they could make it.
Scott

kdfrosty

I waited several days, and still no signs of the polyps opening up. The majority of them bleached out, and I noticed a small spike in my ammonia levels. The rock has been disposed of.
Thanks everyone for your advice and optimism.

edwar050

Wow what are you tank parameters? It almost seems like you they sent you a frag out of a crashing tank or mabye it was shipped in abnormally cold weather?

fishmamma

I was thinking there could have been a hitchhiker that didn't make the trip. I have received zoos by Priority Mail that took 3 or 4 days and they were fine. Sorry you had bad luck on this one KD.

tormented

Im the one who shipped them to KD, and Im feeling bad about it. THey didnt come from a crashing tank, just me screwing up the packing.

kdfrosty

No problem at all, Tormented. Your frag is on its way.
Just an FYI for everyone...Tormented offered to send another frag because of the dead frag I received. He's a great guy to deal with, and I believe he had nothing but good intentions throughout the trading process.