will my mushrooms spread?

S

sonicboom1

I got a piece of rock with 3 different colors of mushrooms. Also on the rock is 3 zoo sort of stalky things (not sure..)
The mushrooms are about 1 inch away from other rocks, will they spread to other rocks this way or how will they begin to spread?

benj420

Some mushrooms multiply faster than others. I have some green "furry" mushrooms that split constantly. I started with 4 or 5, maybe a year ago and now have over 25 and that doesn't count the 10 or so I have given to friends. When they split, they will move a small distance, but not to the other side of the tank. Others I have have never split. You can take a razor blade and cut pieces off of them and the pieces will grow into a new mushroom and the donor will grow back in a month or so. The pieces are difficult to attach where you want them, they tend to blow around until they find a place they like.

S

sonicboom1

my mushrooms are only about the size of a quarter now, should I wait on cutting?

benj420

You can really cut them at about any size, you just won't be able to cut that many pieces off with it being so small. It's not that you can cut too much off of the original that it won't survive, there just isn't much to cut from. When I propogate mushrooms, I routinely cut the "donor" down to a stump and it grows back just fine in a few months. Then with the severed head, I cut it up into several pieces and literally throw them into my fuge. The bottom of it is covered with small LR rubble and the pieces will float around until they find a happy place, also the flow rate is very slow so they sink to the bottom. In a few months I can remove the small mushrooms that grow and the piece of rubble they are on. I then put them back into the main tank or trade them with friends.