Will these tangs go together ok?

jden092901

Im setting up my new tank soon and looking into fish. I was wondering which of these 3 tangs would be best together. Blue hippo, Cheveron tang, White Cheeck Tang, Desjardini Sailfin?
Thanks,
Josh

jackri

Personally I think the sailfin/blue hippo would get along just fine being different colors and body shapes. Plus they are 2 of my favorites :D

startrfish

agreed with jack on this....having owned several tangs though, it honestly can be hit or miss on how well they get along. obviously the bigger the tank the less likely an occurance. Color variety may be key.

deejeff442

120 is small for 4 tangs but two smaller ones would work.just add at the same time or put the bigger one in last.
i have a 5 inch purple for 5+yrs i added an 8 inch achilles ,the purple nipped at him once then decided not to pick on a fish twice his size.
a friend has 8 tangs in a 220 gallon and all is good.
he just tried to add a 3 inch black tang and the $30 yellow killed the $600 black.
lesson learned ,dont press your luck.

culp

Originally Posted by jackri
http:///forum/post/2956511
Personally I think the sailfin/blue hippo would get along just fine being different colors and body shapes. Plus they are 2 of my favorites :D
i have both the adult sailfin and a adult hippo in a 55 waiting to get moved into a 125 and they get along great. but neither of them got along with a foxface.

stanlalee

hippo will go fine with just about any other tang. put the hippo in first, let it establish itself then add the other tang of your choice preferably around the same size. unusual for a hippo to do any more than some minor shadowing for a while. this applies to "normal" purchase size hippo's (3" give or take 1/2"). Huge hippo's are just as cranky as any other large tang who's had a tang free tank to themselves.

C

calvertbill

Originally Posted by Stanlalee
http:///forum/post/2956737
hippo will go fine with just about any other tang. put the hippo in first, let it establish itself then add the other tang of your choice preferably around the same size. unusual for a hippo to do any more than some minor shadowing for a while. this applies to "normal" purchase size hippo's (3" give or take 1/2"). Huge hippo's are just as cranky as any other large tang who's had a tang free tank to themselves.
Hippos (Parananthurus) will probably get along with most, but will likely be a target for any of the Acanthurus species (Orange Shoulder, Powder Blue/Browns, Achilles, Sohals, etc.).

stanlalee

Originally Posted by Calvertbill
http:///forum/post/2956951
Hippos (Parananthurus) will probably get along with most, but will likely be a target for any of the Acanthurus species (Orange Shoulder, Powder Blue/Browns, Achilles, Sohals, etc.).
thats why they must go in first and establish themselves before the acanthurus is added. I did hippo and powder brown this way and they never had a single incident of aggression. the powder brown was even bigger.

truefishman

yes i would stay away from the white cheeks as they are ich magnets.the hippo and sailfin is your best bet.but remember tangs are unpredictable you may think your tang is the nicest fish in the world then when you add another tang.the new tang gets beaten the cap out of.so i would make sure you make a good decision and observe the tangs if your getting them at the same ime at the same lfs to observe them for a long time