Will this flow be to much?

pyro383

See my setup below. I am adding a 20g sump with about 10g capacity, I am thinking of 700gph overflow and concerned about noise, would it be to much, should I go with a 400gph model?

logan15

you would be a okay with the mag 7 like kipass said and a overflow with a 750gph output same thing im doing with mine

pyro383

I think I need a mag 18, after height, length, elbows and the squid I am at 11ft of head, so I will put a ball valve on the return and throttle back abit. I just wanted to make sure that 700gph wouldn't sound like Niagra Falls with all that velocity. Also I think I am leaning towards the rio hypers as I have not heard a complaint yet and it saves me close to $50.

broomer5

pyro383
I would hesitate using a Magdrive 18 with a 700 gph rated overflow.
How are you estimating your head pressure ?
Placing a ball valve after the return pump is an option - but you don't want to throttle down the flow too much.
Doing so does not allow the pump to run efficiently, and can cause excessive heat.
A Mag18 is a pretty powerful pump for a 45 gallon tank - IMO.
Can you reduce the head pressure, by eliminating turns.
You may be able to use a less powerful pump then.

pyro383

I used the cal at reefcentral. From base to top of tank is 4ft, od of tube is 3/4", the squid loss is 20% (which is equal to [2] 90 degree elbows, then 3ft of horizontal tube to reach both ends of tank, (2) 90's to turn into tank and then (2) ball socket nozzles. That equals 11ft of loss, the mag 18 drops to 760 gph or so as long as the ball sockets don't turn more than 45 degrees.

pyro383

If I go with the Rio hyper than the gph will be right around 700gph which I am leaning towards.