will this work on my 70?

firefish9

will this work for a reef setup?
1 250 watt 14,000k metal halide pendant What type of corals can I keep under this light?
RO unit
Berlin Red sea skimmer rated for 100gallons
About 55 pounds of live rock
Aquafuge refugium
Market leader reef package
4-5 inches of crushed coral and live sand
1 saddleback clown
1 firefish
1 dwarf angel
1 royal gramma
1 jawfish
1-3 bangaiis cardinals
1 yellow tail damsel

triga22

I woulod do only sand no crushed coral. And for a skimmer get the coralife super skimmer or the remora. You also may need another MH.

triga22

Try and do a sump. Then you can have the fuge inside of it. And it hides everything under the tank.

zanclus

My suggestion is to use a under the tank sump , buy a needlewheel or beckett skimmer, add another MH and go with a sand only bottom or even bare bottom. If you are thinking of keeping SPS then add lots of flow. 14000k lamps are nice ,they have a hint of blue, but you might want to add some actinic supplement light in either vho or T5 lamps.

firefish9

Originally Posted by TriGa22
I woulod do only sand no crushed coral. And for a skimmer get the coralife super skimmer or the remora. You also may need another MH.

why would I need another mh

trippkid

Originally Posted by firefish9
why would I need another mh
I know you have a 70, but what are the dimensions? Mh usually effectively cover a 2'X2' area, so if tank is 4' , noramally you would go with 2 of them, If not you'll have to keep the stuff that needs the light under it, where ever you put it.
Matt

brandon7491

i agree dont do live sand and crushed coral cuz then ur gonna have some difficulties maintaing ph at 8.2 do all live sand probably 100lbs and for lights do 2 of them cuz if u do 1 ur only gonna have one area of light and rest of darkness which looks odd.

firefish9

Originally Posted by zanclus
My suggestion is to use a under the tank sump , buy a needlewheel or beckett skimmer, add another MH and go with a sand only bottom or even bare bottom. If you are thinking of keeping SPS then add lots of flow. 14000k lamps are nice ,they have a hint of blue, but you might want to add some actinic supplement light in either vho or T5 lamps.

I do have a 48 watt 10,000kelvin acintinic T5 light would this be enough of a suppliment?

firefish9

Originally Posted by trippkid
I know you have a 70, but what are the dimensions? Mh usually effectively cover a 2'X2' area, so if tank is 4' , noramally you would go with 2 of them, If not you'll have to keep the stuff that needs the light under it, where ever you put it.
Matt
the tank dimensions are 36x18x24 inches

wangotango

the tank dimensions are 36x18x24 inches
if it's only 36" long then you can use just one halide, but if there's a center brace putting one halide over it will cause a nasty shaddow, in which case you could go with two to even even it out.
with 14,000K lamps you really dont need any actinic supplimentation since they're blue enough. you could use lower kelvin bulbs (10-12K) and use a pure actinic T5 or whatever as a suppliment. this way you can create a "dawn to dusk" effect.
-Justin

trippkid

It should be fine. You may have some areas that are not as intense, but that is ok, you can put coral that doesn't require a lot of light in those areas or just keep them open if you want. Having some areas that aren't as bright is not always a bad thing. 1 light per 2ft is a general rule(a good one). It is up to you, I think you'll be fine with 1, especially if you are using additional actinic lights.
Matt

wangotango

I also plan on keeping assorted soft, LPS and sps coral
Can i place a brain coral in the sand?
place the sps and more light demanding lps directly under the light, and softies/shrooms/zoos under the less intense areas. just remember that sps in a tank stocked with a lot of leathers wont grow as quickly.
yes, most brain corals do best on the substrate.
-Justin

wangotango

leathers secrete a chemical that acts as a growth inhibiter for neighboring coral kind of as a defense. now you wont have problems in a mostly sps/lps stocked tank with maybe a small leather, but more so if it was the other way around.
-Justin

crt81

What size sump do you have? (dimensions?)
Are you going with am external pump for the sump or an internal sump?