Will this work?

lu

I bought an almost new skimmer for my 125 gallon tank. It's an emperor aquatics AF 2-8-001. Will do up to a 500 gallon tank and it's a stand alone. If I set the skimmer on the floor next to the tank, the top of the skimmer comes to the sand. About 18" from the top of the water. How big/what brand pump would pump water to the skimmer and back to the tank. Any suggestions?
Did I give enough information for help?

bingo

I'm not sure how your skimmer works, but most skimmers like that need to gravity drain. If you tried to "pump" the water through the skimmer and up to your tank, you'd having water shooting out your collection cup! Again, I don't know how your skimmer is, but all of the ones I've seen and worked with need the drain to be higher than the water level to work properly.

lu

Thanks you guys. Actually, I've decided to send it back (bought it on ----). My lfs said it was more of a commercial skimmer, way too much for my tank and my know-how. I have my 125 gallon tank in my living room (and off white carpet) so I can't have a sump. I guess I'll just have to get a hang on since that seems to be the only logical solution.