will triggers pick on my banded shark?

trgirl

I just bought a newly hatched banded cat shark today. He is doing really well in my tank so far and everyone is peaceful. But I read on here that a trigger likes to nip at the cartilage on sharks...is this a common problem? I have in this tank a picasso,niger,and a snowflake eel with him. Also, if anyone can give me any pointers as to what the banded sharks nitrate level,etc.requirements may be if anything in that department is different from other fish that I may not be aware of, I would REALLY appreciate it!

robbytt

How big is your tank? How big are all the fish? Do you feed the live food ever? These might help some people better answer you questions.
The correct answer - g) not enough information :)

trgirl

My tank is 150. Both the niger and the picasso are about 4-5 inches. The snowflake eel is about 15 inches. They all eat live food occassionally. I also give them silversides,squid and clams.

robbytt

Listen to that man! Even I wouldn't cram a shark in anything less than 300 gallons, and for those that follow my posts -- that might be a surprise to you :)

gnelson

A 150 should be large enough for a while, and might be good enough depending on how large the shark gets. They grow to a max of 40 inches, but not likely in a home aquarium. They are reef sharks and really not all that active. They have powerful gills and do not need to swim to breath, therefore a good sand bottom with alot of open area and a little rock work should be fine for them.
Triggers all have different traits, some may pick at them some may not, you will need to watch carefully in order to see if things are going to be a problem or not. Try feeding the shark with a feeding stick so that you know he is eating and he does not have to deal with the triggers. They do good with fresh shrimp, squid or mussels. Banded sharks are one of the best for a home aqarium,with proper care can be good pets.

trgirl

Thanks for the information! I am at a decisive stage right now - I got the 150 gallon because we live in an apartment. We are looking for a house and plan to upgrade to a really huge tank once we know we will never have to move it! Moving this 150 will be torture enough! This will all hopefully take place within the next year (move in and set up another tank). I plan to keep this shark and get whatever he needs to be happy and healthy! To keep you posted, it has been 2 hours now, and they are all still very comfortable with one another. Actually, when we introduced him, we moved all the rock around (read that somewhere recently) and so everyone is busy looking for their new domain.

good call about the rock...thats what i do it gets the aggressive fish to look for new territory or look for new ones and somtimes the new fish goes unnoticed