will turbo snails die if they fall on their back?

hoycetee

you should flip them over cause they cant do it themselves, i have heard that nassarius snails can flip themselves over though

marvida

It depends on which snail. Sometimes they fall between rocks & get trapped. Sometimes the Astreas fall and have problems.

1journeyman

Yes. turbos will die.
Nass. snails do turn themselves over. I've got a bunch. (of course they are much smaller)

hoycetee

you know how long turbos well live upside down cause i always find my upside down and have to flip em over, lucking i always catch em before they die, i find myself fliping over snails at least 2 times a dayand i only have 5 turbos

mikeyjer

I just flipped one over last night. I noticed that when I first got them. They would just stay at the same place and not move until I flip them over. I left one laying for two days to see if he would flip himself over and he didn't so I flipped him over and he moved right away.

snipe

I bought 11 and didnt figure they would be that big of a pain well I have 3 left. If you have other snails or crabs in the tank if there flipped they become food fast!

mikeyjer

Originally Posted by Snipe
I bought 11 and didnt figure they would be that big of a pain well I have 3 left. If you have other snails or crabs in the tank if there flipped they become food fast!
My Hermit crabs didn't eat them though. My fish pecked at them for a bit. I bought 6 and I still have 6. I just flip them over when I see them laying on the bottom upside down.

boom215

i confused. i went to the lfs yesterday and bought what i thought were 10 turbo snails. thats what it saod on the tank. i acclimate for like an hour then pured them in. they all flipped themselfs over. and now like 4 of them have burryed themselfs in the sand whats that mean?

weberian

In reference to the post, I would say YES, that's what I've heard from one friend and YES, the observations in my tank lately would support that. It sort of appears to me that you have to buy 10 turbos to get a good ONE or THREE. The others are really stupid or inept. I hope they have a better record in their natural environment.

jerthunter

Boom215, it doesn't sound like those are turbo snails. If I had to guess they sound like Nassarius snails. How big are they? what color & shape? I personally like Nassarius snails, mine are super fast for their tiny size.
Oh and a picture would help to identify them.

mnm

I must have some pretty talented turbo snails then because I've always let Darwin's theory appliy to my tank..
Those that flip over or land on their back have to fend for themselves.. Haven't lost one yet..
And yes, they are turbo snails..