Wolf Eel / Gulper Eel

newsalt

Does anyone have any info on a Wolf eel? Could I put one in a 75? What do you feed them?
Im really interested in Gulper Eels, but cant get any real info on them. how big they get, what they eat, can you keep them in a 75? :D

jehu256

wolf eels can eat same as any other eel but 75 will only house one for a little while
they can reach over eight feet long
they like to eat crab anemones

newsalt

Can you recommened a good eel? Im new at this, but find eels fascinating. I dont really want a snowflake or a hawian, im looking for something with attitude but calm enough to put in some other fish (lion, frogfish, puffer...) :D

grouperhead

Wolf eels are actually members of the dottyback family. They can get around 18" in length. A 75 would be a good sized tank for one. They are excellent jumpers, so always keep the tank covered. Also, only keep one per tank. I've never heard of a gulper eel, do you know its scientific name? Bo

newsalt

Sure Bo, A Grouper eels proper name is Eurpharynx Pelecanoides, another name for it is an UmbrellaMouth eel. Its jaws can unhinged in order to swallow food that is much larger its stomach is elastic in its design so as to hold larger prey. It has a bio light on its tale. It lives in deep depths around the same deepths as a viper fish. They are fascinating looking eels. The reading I have done is very conflicting when it comes size. Any where from maximum 2 feet, to 8 feet (more of the reading points at 2-3 feet). it is a slow moving eel except when it strike to eat. I really would like to find someone who can obtain one.