Wondering if thid would work

caz2022

I have a drilled 75gal tank Im looking to set up im livingroom. It will be a FOWLER tank. Im planning on setting up a 55gal sump in the basement. Since the sump wont be directly underneath the tankI'll need a strong return pump. I have a Hayward 1.5 hp swimmingpool pump sitting collecting dust. Would I be able to use this as my return pump? Rough calculations has the return line being about 15' and raising a total of 11'

nanomantis

It will likely rust out/fall apart. I'd be worried about that aspect (the size sounds fine). Pool pumps (even salt water pool pumps) arn't rated/tested on the higher salinity we maintain in saltwater in comparason to pools.

florida joe

I am sure you are not going to submerge the motor so I would not worry about corrosion the motor is isolated from the pump and all of the swimming pool pumps I have ever seen have plastic housings and impellers

caz2022

No the pump would not be submerged. I would have to rig some type of suction line to feed it. On another note could I use the whole filter (sand) as a polisher inline after the sump, 'fuge, and skimmers?

flower

Run a test line to see if it can put out enough. Everything always sounds good at the planning stage...I always like to be sure first.

caz2022

Ya Im gonna have to set up a series of tests before final setup. I have no idesa what the max head on this filter would be. For that matter-I really have no idea what the drain rate on my tank is-if it could even keep up with the pump.

aj565

i'm looking into this as well as i have a brand new pump that i got for free. so far i have found that a pool pump is rated in GPM not GPH. with a 4 foot head the 1/2hp pump i have will return 4800 GPH
i'm sure there is a way to make it work, i'll prolly have to put a shut off valve going back to the tank and another line returning back to the sumpfrom just before that valve. my 210 does have a over flow rated at 3500 GPH though

aj565

you should search how many GPM your pump puts out. there are alot of 1 1/2hp pumps that even with a 40 foot head flow over 140 GPM. thats 8400 GPH at that rate.