Wood for Hood

ian

I have a 215 gallon on the second floor of my home. The builders I all talked to said it would not be a problem if it covered 3 joists and I have it over 5 but the weight has always concerned me. It has never had even problems nor has the floor ever sagged. I am now going to build a canopy and don't know much about the wood. Does anyone have a suggestion for a good lightweight wood?
Thanks,
Ian

slick

It really depends on what your looking for. If weight is the main conecrn you should use pine. It is light and soft. But if you like nicer looking wood you should use oak plywood or solid oak. I recommend you stay away from solid oak becuase it is very expensive and very hard.

dreeves

What is the cabinet made out of?
Soft maple is somewhat light, strong, nice even grain, (smooth and steady).
But...nothing beats solid oak!
Listen to your builders. I believe a standard floor is supposed to be able to handle like 500 #'s per square foot or something like that.

You can try Red Cedar. It has a rustic look, is light, and moisture resistant. Also, it does not need to be finished with stain or polyurethane...

dockery07

If your worried about your weight. Go take a look at some of the stands that support a 215 gallon aquarium. They are much less capable of weight than a second story floor.
As far a wood goes, use what you like, and can work with. Even the heavest wood as a percentage will add very little to the weight of the overall system.

ian

Does anyone have a guesstimate to what a hood will weigh? Roughly 6 feet wide and 2 ft tall?

ian

That hood is amazing! Did you build it yourself? If so I would love some basic ideas.
Thanks,
Ian

tamstoy

dockery, you wouldn't happen to have plans would you. I want my husband to build me a new stand and canopy and he said to find what I like. Your's is absolutely beautiful. Did you also do the tank or did you just trim it?
Thanks!
Tammy

dockery07

I don't think I have the plans anymore. It was about 2 years ago. But I'll help if I can.
Yes, I bought a tank, and designed the stand and Canopy around that. The doors and drawers came from Home Depot as cabinet additions (this way I didn't have to worry about fit), and I re-enforced them with 3/4" plywood. Everything was layed out with crown molding, and painted with a "ragged" design. It was built to go in our formal dining room, so I wanted it to be a piece of furniture that we could be proud of.
I'm currently designing a stand for our new 215 gallon. The biggest difference is it will have an integral sump.