Wood rot on inside of tank stand??

tigershark

I am almost ready to setup my tank. I have a 60 GAL and I am going to have a sump under the stand. I was thinking that over time, the water evaporation from the sump might eventually start to rot the inside of my tank stand. I painted the outside and coated it with some acryilic spray so I think that part should be ok. Do you think the inside might be a problem down the road or can you recommend something I can use to protect the inside from water damage?

melbournefl

I painted the inside of my stand with Kilz brand primer, good for reducing mold and mildew, and then a coat of gloss enamel paint. I also made sure that there was good ventilation through the stand.
Just a thought,
Paul

slick

I have never heard of anyones stand rotting out. Anyone ever had this happen or know anyone who has?

melbournefl

Nope slick I never have but then again, I'm just making sure that I'm not going to be the "poster child" for "rotting reef stands of america" LOL
later,
Paul

gregzbobo

I've splashed all sorts of saltwater inside the bottom of my stand, the woods swells a bit but thats it. When it drys it probably leaves salt crystals in the wood fibers, and mold and mildew most likely can't live in that.