Woot, I got a new clown, but he is ... Mucousy.

reef diver

My new clown is acting relatively normal, except his body is very mucousy, and he keeps trying to cough up, guck. Any hints?

lion_crazz

He may have brooklynella. Check out the disease thread and take a look at the disease pics. If it looks like this, read up on formalin baths immediatley in the FAQ thread by Beth at the top of the disease forum.

reef diver

No its not brook, no white flaky, looks notmal, aside from what hes trying to "cough" up. I think hes better now tho.

sepulatian

Originally Posted by Reef Diver
No its not brook, no white flaky, looks notmal, aside from what hes trying to "cough" up. I think hes better now tho.
If he is coughing things up I would not say he is better. Have you had a look at Beths disease pic thread?

reef diver

Not saying it is normal, i think it may be velvet. No hes not better this morning tho. Yes I did look at all the pics, there is no flaky whit guck of brook on him.

cannonman

I don't know what it is, I couldn't figure it out when mine got it... mine died about three days later, I did do the formalin baths but it was too little too late.

reef diver

Ill try formalin baths tomorrow, I cant get them now, its too late at night, I did a freshwater dip a minute ago, but he was stressed so I took him out after barely a minute. Should I leave him in, if so how long. The thing is he was fine at my LFS yesterday when i picked him up, hes also an onyx clown, tank bred if im not mistaken.

sepulatian

Ill try formalin baths tomorrow, I cant get them now, its too late at night, I did a freshwater dip a minute ago, but he was stressed so I took him out after barely a minute. Should I leave him in, if so how long. The thing is he was fine at my LFS yesterday when i picked him up, hes also an onyx clown, tank bred if im not mistaken.
Ah, Viper is the one who knows about the onyx clowns, but they are a breed of percula none the less. A freshwater dip was a bad idea and just stressed the heck out of him. If it is marine velvet then you would need to treat him with copper. Do you have an established QT?

reef diver

He passed on the 6th, and my clown I hav e currently, which suffered a slight injury, very slight now has a serious fungal infection which appeared yesterday. I did a fresh dip with her, and I want to try primafix, but is it reef safe???

reef diver

The fungal infection is not spreading to other fish, I believe the reason she contracted it, is from her butting the new fish when he was introduced.

sepulatian

He passed on the 6th, and my clown I hav e currently, which suffered a slight injury, very slight now has a serious fungal infection which appeared yesterday. I did a fresh dip with her, and I want to try primafix, but is it reef safe???
What does the fungal infection look like, can you describe it to be certain it is fungal? Pimafix is reefsafe, I have used it many times, but other members argue that it is worthless. I guess it is up to you if you want to try it. I would definately use it in a seperate qt if you are going to use it at all. It will make your skimmer go nuts. Describe what the infection looks like. It may be something that your clown can fight off with proper diet and vitamines along with good water quality.