working in LFS?

fishwanabe

Hello, was just wondering if anyone worked in a LFS for fish and if so how does it work for you? There is a new pet shop that has opened here in my area and I'm hoping to work a few hrs a week for fish and supplies. If anyone already does this please tell me your deal. Thanks

snakeblitz33

I own a live fish store. It's fantastic if you are passionate about what you are doing. If not, everything seems like a chore. Have fun!

Just be carefull about the owner taking advantage of you. He's not going to tell you wholesale prices, so he will be paying less than minimum wage for your services. I've been to LA and bought wholesale, there's a huge mark up. As long as your happy with the deal, go for it, this is an expensive hobby.

mcbdz

My daughter works at a lfs and on top of her pay, she and close family get special orders for their cost and livestock is 50% off if they have had it in the store for 2 weeks or more.

briand7878

I work at a local store part time. I have a specific wage with no taxes taken out that is strictly for store credit. I do the ordering on the fish from the wholesaler as well as the warehouse. I love it.

stdreb27

You know that isn't a bad idea for the owners, you get experience working with the fish, and they don't have to pay to train you.

fishwanabe

Thanks for all your input! I was thinking maybe 5 buck an hour in store credit only working maybe 2-3 hrs on my days off of normal job and then paying 5% over retail for all fish and supplies.

dmjordan

i work at a lfs p/t. you wouldn't believe the mark up...it's rediculous. i enjoy helping people that come in and have questions about setting up a sw tank. i get to order fish and corals and have first pick of what i order. i also meet people who know more than me that can help me with any question i have. great part time job but the pay stinks.

waterlogged

Originally Posted by dmjordan
i work at a lfs p/t. you wouldn't believe the mark up...it's rediculous. i enjoy helping people that come in and have questions about setting up a sw tank. i get to order fish and corals and have first pick of what i order. i also meet people who know more than me that can help me with any question i have. great part time job but the pay stinks.
Just curious, how much do you think the markup is?

mcbdz

Originally Posted by Waterlogged
At ours at least 50%
That's why we get a 50% discount on stuff there longer then 2 weeks.

Originally Posted by Waterlogged
Average fish store around here mark up 200 to 300%. Fish stores have high overhead.

jonthefishguy

Originally Posted by MonsterAquatic
Fish stores have high overhead.
That is soo true. Most have no idea how much overhead we have.

stdreb27

Yeah, the one I go to make a profit of 700 dollars a day to break even. (I think his book suck) Because that doesn't sound right.

ophiura

Yes I worked at basically the largest LFS in our area for about 15 months.
It is hard work, plain and simple.
And it can be tough on your ethics...so it depends on the store. If you work at a store where you are expected to sell, and sell everything to anyone, it can be brutal. Ultimately I found it a bit of a challenge, and I worked at a store where they would not sell certain things unless conditions were met (eg seahorses fell under this).
People do not give LFS' or their employees enough respect in many cases, IMO.

One lfs I used to patron the owner drives a H2 Hummer. They sell anything to anyone. I understand making a profit but killing a living creature for $$ is just wrong.

N

nereef

if you are working for only credit, make sure you get a big discount also. otherwise, the store is just getting free labor.

ophiura

I would never work in an LFS for credit only, that is absolutely something that will amount to nothing more than giving them free labor. If you do, you best get IN WRITING what would be included in that deal, and specifics on the discount.
But overall I would not do that.

lexluethar

Originally Posted by ophiura
I would never work in an LFS for credit only, that is absolutely something that will amount to nothing more than giving them free labor. If you do, you best get IN WRITING what would be included in that deal, and specifics on the discount.
But overall I would not do that.
Agreed, if you do ANYTHING other than a regular hourly wage get that stuff in writing and have both of you sign it. Knowing business and how I see a lot of companies treat their employees, after a month of "free labor" and you try to cash in your credit they could just say "what are you talking about."
Business 101 - try to document everything in writing.