Working on a 16 Gallon Seahorse Tank HELP NEEDED

beerkegman

Im looking for a little help. I purchased a 16 gallon bow front tank and have everything ready to go to start assembling the tank. Im looking for some help on the following:
1. Water flow. How much water flow will I need? Gental, Mild or Strong
2. What are the best corals to place in the tank for them to grab on to?

harial

you are going to want a very gentle water flow becasue seahorses do not swim well AT ALL.
As far as corals are concerned, you are going to want thing that can be grabbed onto and are strurdy. One idea that I had but never did was to have a featherduster prominant tank with seahorses because the tubes provided good anchors for the seahorses and when there are lots of them open is a wide array of colors, it is a beautiful affect. FYI you can get featherdusters in Pink, Yellow, Green, Purple, and red. I once even owned a blue one, but it died in my great duster massicre.

beerkegman

For my rock I am going to use Tonga Branch and the fether dusters are a good idea. I was also thinking some coco worms would work well. But im still thinking about using some finger leathers. The tonga branch will provide the seahorses with lots of area to grab on to.

beerkegman

The tanks ia ready to go. Fist thing Saturday morning I will be placing the crushed coral on the bottom and filling the tank using water from my other reef tanks. I plan on letting the tank run for 2 to 3 weeks before adding the seahorses.
Do you think I should add any power heads to the tank ? I was thinking about adding just a small one in the middle of the tank.

harial

if you are going to keep coco worms, make sure you dose phyto very consistantly. They die pretty easily when deprived. I have heard that lots of people have trouble keeping them past 10 months because of this. I myself have kept mine for over a year but I also have a large amount of featherdusters so I am always putting food into the tank.
Hope you have success!
BTW what kind of seahorse are you you going to have? and how tall is the tank? you need to make sure that the tank is twice the high of an adult seahorse(I think it is a mating thing).