Working on a budget!

bluering09

Ok well my birthday is only days away and I was giving $1,000 to spend it as I wish. I really want to get a 90g Reef Setup but the Metal Helides are at the very least $500. So now I'm sitting scratching my head trying to figure out how and where to buy a whole set up for less then $1,000. My last option is to buy the 28g Nano Cube HQI Aquarium and use the rest of the money to buy the live rock and etc, but then again 28g is only for more gallons from my previews 24g Aquapod. Does anyone have any suggestions? How would you spend the money if it was ours ?

gio28

craigslist is the way to go IMO if money is an issue. i've seen many tanks that are fully set up and the size you want for only a few 100 dollars sometimes. just make sure the tank dosent leak or have any problems.
i went with a 36 bowfront for my tank...and with the tank, equipment, lighting, livestock, etc etc etc im already at $1000 almost. its alot more than it seems...this hobby is really expensive.
anyways...i wish i would have checked craigslist first...great deals.

U

usirchchris

Definitely C-list. You can get a nice setup for that kind of money.

bionicarm

Originally Posted by bluering09
http:///forum/post/3127576
Ok well my birthday is only days away and I was giving $1,000 to spend it as I wish. I really want to get a 90g Reef Setup but the Metal Helides are at the very least $500. So now I'm sitting scratching my head trying to figure out how and where to buy a whole set up for less then $1,000. My last option is to buy the 28g Nano Cube HQI Aquarium and use the rest of the money to buy the live rock and etc, but then again 28g is only for more gallons from my previews 24g Aquapod. Does anyone have any suggestions? How would you spend the money if it was ours ?

Out of curiousity, how old are you? Do you have a job where you are earning money, and this birthday gift is just 'fun money' that you don't need to use to pay bills and other expenses? Saltwater aquariums are an awesome hobby, but as you have found out, are big money pits. Is there some other item you are yearning for that costs more than $1,000 (a car, new computer, college education, etc.)? If so, I would put a percentage of this $1,000 into a savings account or some other investment and not throw it all into a new aquarium setup that you will lose money on when/if you ever decide to sell it.

darthtang aw

Originally Posted by bionicarm
http:///forum/post/3127665
Out of curiousity, how old are you? Do you have a job where you are earning money, and this birthday gift is just 'fun money' that you don't need to use to pay bills and other expenses? Saltwater aquariums are an awesome hobby, but as you have found out, are big money pits. Is there some other item you are yearning for that costs more than $1,000 (a car, new computer, college education, etc.)? If so, I would put a percentage of this $1,000 into a savings account or some other investment and not throw it all into a new aquarium setup that you will lose money on when/if you ever decide to sell it.
Thanks Dad. Don't you just love when someone responds to questions with thoughts that have nothing to do with the original question.
Check C-List, the newspaper, and occasionally LFS will allow others to place flyers if they are selling their set up.

the sensible side of me would tell you to put it away, (intrest bearing acount???) and research, spend time looking for deals, reading about ifferent gear. Make an informed descinion, voice of exprience ere, and impulse buy on gear cost you more in the long run.
Then there is the side of me that would tellyou to look right here on SWF at thier aquariym section the red sea max. all in one. Its a nice set up.
Guess i really didnt help you much did I

cranberry

Lemme see... if I was handed a thousand bucks for my birthday that was only a couple of days away, I am pretty darn sure it wouldn't go in the bank. Who puts their birthday money in the bank when it's been offered for them for tank purposes! He already has a tank... a 24g. He's done the research. Why are we telling him to go do some more?
I would start scanning for second hand tanks if I had a 1000 buck limit and dreams of a reef. Locally there was an add like this (the tank is sold... so I'm not trying to squeeze in a "for sale" post....
My tank is officially for sale...
#1 180g tank

[hr]
$200 (if i can not scrape off/peel off the zoanthids off the bottom of the tank, you might end up with a couple square feet of zoas)
#2 OceansMotions (4-way) ---- $250
#3 Sequence DART Pump

[hr]
$175
=====
$625
BUT, if you buy the above as a package deal, I will sell it to you for the unbeliveably low price of........... $400 come and get it
#4 Hamilton Technologies 6' pendant fixture. 3-250mh bulbs w/ 2ea 160W actinic VHO bulbs. You will need MH bulbs soon. Mine are 1 year old this month... --- $350
A lot fo the livestock was free....

Freebie example....

So you can get exactly what you want if you have a good look around.

bionicarm

Originally Posted by Darthtang AW
http:///forum/post/3127673
Thanks Dad. Don't you just love when someone responds to questions with thoughts that have nothing to do with the original question.
Check C-List, the newspaper, and occasionally LFS will allow others to place flyers if they are selling their set up.
His last statement was - "How would you spend the money if it was ours ?"
So I told him what I thought he should do with it. If he wants to spend the whole wad on a new tank, more power to him.

cranberry

I think he's referring to "how would you spend it if it was yours to spend on tank stuff". "What would you buy?". "How could you get it all done with a 1000 buck limit." Not what CDs or stock options he should invest in.
He's trying to do it with in a 1000 buck limit, which we all know can be hard, and is looking for suggestions to get the job done.

salt life

I would do a 40 breeder reef tank. it has great dimensions and you would have alot of options for different types of reefs in a smaller tank.

bluering09

Thank you guys, to answer bionicarm I'm going to be 25yrs old this Saturday, my car is paid for already and I'm currently in school (U of H). I have decided that if I want to gain much more knowledge of this hobby I have to just close my eyes and spend a little more than I normaly would like too. I found a good set up for 1100 which includes the following : 90g Reef Ready with stand and 2x250 Metal Helides but does not come with a sump.
The second is a Red Sea Max 65g with a complete set up (skimmer etc) for 1200 cash
So ya.......I'm googling trying to find something close to where I live and I'm getting nada.
Does someone knows how to make a cheap but reliable sump?

cranberry

Oh for sure! Depending on the size of the tank a 10 or 20g standard cheap glass tank will make an awesome sump. A couple of acrylic baffles and you'll be good to go!

cranberry

Hmmm... definitely look for second hand. I'm not sure what the going rates are. We use externals when we can.

U

usirchchris

I like RIO pumps. They are inexpensive and dependable IME.

flower

http:///forum/post/3128218
Thank you guys, to answer bionicarm I'm going to be 25yrs old this Saturday, my car is paid for already and I'm currently in school (U of H). I have decided that if I want to gain much more knowledge of this hobby I have to just close my eyes and spend a little more than I normaly would like too. I found a good set up for 1100 which includes the following : 90g Reef Ready with stand and 2x250 Metal Helides but does not come with a sump.
The second is a Red Sea Max 65g with a complete set up (skimmer etc) for 1200 cash
So ya.......I'm googling trying to find something close to where I live and I'm getting nada.
Does someone knows how to make a cheap but reliable sump?

That is a tank, lights and no filter system...you will still need:
  • Sand
  • Rock
  • Skimmer (good to have, but optional)
  • Inverts (CUC)
  • Fish
  • Coral
  • Auto top off (optional)
  • RO unit
  • Salt mix
    Plastic garbage can for FISH ONLY (for mixing water for water changes)
    Filter pads..filter..sump (whatever you decide for filtration)
    Power heads
    Refugium (optional)
    Refractometer / Hydrometer
    Thermometer
    Reef test kits
    Buffers
    Critter food
If you want a full reef you need to buy one that a person no longer can keep. C-list is your best opportunity. Buying new..you don't have enough money. You will have to buy used for the money you want to spend.

bluering09

You guys are right.....I know my best bet will be to buy a use set up. However I'm scared to buy any used tanks or specially lights, there are some systems in Houston LFS but they have an "out the door waranty". So I just finish watching a couple videos on youtube on how to make a sump and they are self explanatory. I have three empty 29g tanks outside and I guess I can use one of them to build a sump.
Looking at the preview list these are the things I already have:
Reef Test kits
Garbage plastic can (57g)
Thermometor
Power heads (3)
Hydrometer
Some inverts (from my 24g tank)
No much I know, but Im willing to take donations

flower

http:///forum/post/3128295
You guys are right.....I know my best bet will be to buy a use set up. However I'm scared to buy any used tanks or specially lights, there are some systems in Houston LFS but they have an "out the door waranty". So I just finish watching a couple videos on youtube on how to make a sump and they are self explanatory. I have three empty 29g tanks outside and I guess I can use one of them to build a sump.
Looking at the preview list these are the things I already have:
Reef Test kits
Garbage plastic can (57g)
Thermometor
Power heads (3)
Hydrometer
Some inverts (from my 24g tank)
No much I know, but Im willing to take donations

Buy the used tank and equipment CHEAP....then buy yourself a new tank. Tanks are not expensive, the lights and other stuff is. People will sell the whole setup real cheap. A 90g tank will run from 200.00 to $300.00 new...but they do go on sale for $150.00...but you have to find the right store. I got my 90g tank + stand and canopy for $400.00 new.
That way you can get your rock..lights...sand...just about everything...and a new tank. That or buy yourself everything new with income tax money...that's what I did. It is just a few months away with e-file.