Worried about my Clown

bigeyedfish

This afternoon i've noticed my new sebae clown is just sitting on the bottom in the corner. There are no signs of ick and he is eating like a horse. I hope nothing is wrong, he just doesnt seem his self. I've had him since thursday and he acclimated to the tank fine. any ideas on what could be wrong?

stupid_naso

I had the same eperience about two weeks ago, while my tank first started its cycle :D . Anyway, what I did was, I immidiately check my water parameters. I noticed that my Ph is low. So check your water parameters. Other than that, the clown should be fine. Mine is swimming happily right now :D . Alsp it needs to adjust to the new environment, wait couple of more days it should be fine.
stupid_naso

javajoe

I am not familiare with this clown, but did some research after reading your post. Did not find anything about them being really active or not, but it does mention that they are territorial, and claim their "area" and defend it, keeping other fish out. Here is a 'theory'... maybe the first few days he was swimming around, scoping out the joint, and finally found a place to call 'home'. Maybe he is now jsut hanging out- watch your other fish, and see what he does when they get near his corner- if he chases them away, maybe has just found his place, and you might have nothing to worry about. But I DO agree- test your water- if you haven't already. I always break out the test kit before adding any new livestock, and also if i notice any strange behavior.
Good luck- and keep us posted...

bigeyedfish

Checked everything and they are the same as before i added the fish. Salinity = 1.024, PH = 8.2, Ammonia = .25 ppm (I am two weeks into the cycle), Nitrite = 0 (shouldnt there be some by now?), Nitrate = None of course. He could be just stakeing territory. That would make the whole tank his, he's pretty much shown the two damsels whose boss :p

fshhub

you really should wait for the cycle to complete, before adding any fish at all, please do not buy any more until then, it sounds as if your cycle is just starting, this may be part(or all of) of your problem, when we first started, our lfs sold us fish right away, wound up being 6 clowns too, and in days we had the same prob, needless to say, he doesn't sell me any more fish(i'll only go there for dry goods) he gave us alot of real bad advice to start; anyhow, clowns aren't likely gonna survive a cycle(sometimes they may, but not likely)

bigeyedfish

I dont plan on buying anything else for at least a month. I have my quarantine tank setup and will get something to put in there soon but will wait till the cycle is closer to being done. I know not to buy anything else or risk losing fish.

fshhub

wait until the cycle is complete, not one month, or almost done, it shoud be complete, for you fishes sake, plus you do not want to be adding more bioload while in the cycle(even if almost over)
HTH

fshhub

i realize how difficult it can be, we have all gone thru it, but patience is the only way
my wife still has that problem, but she is glad i prevail in these cases, it has to be done
trust me it will all be worth the effort soon enough