Worst fish wound I have ever seen.

So here goes the long story short.
2 days ago I had to go to the TAFWC (Teacher association of the west coast) and I knew I was going to be gone 2 days one night. I had no problem with leaving the tank because my wife has just as much interest and love for my tank as I do, and knows how to properly take care of it.
So as I said Long story short, I get back to the house and get ready to walk my dogs when I notice my 6 inch dogface puffer about the size of a very large Cantaloupe because he was so puffed up. He was stuck to the intake of one of my PH's. Apparently my wife had cleaned the tank and didn't put the pre-filter on the PH. My wife has no Idea how long he was on there but judging by how bad the wounds are I would say hours and hours and hours. when I pulled him off his flesh came off like it was just jelly on his side. I have no idea what to do for him. I am very very saddened by this.
He is very timid in his swimming and now stays on the bottom with his back fin wrapped around the wound. It's been two days and most of his spines have still not retracted.
Please help me with some advice.

The first picture is from today, the second is about 2 hours after it happened, and as you can see it's getting worse.

ci11337

Thats so sad. Your probably gonna have to treat him with something to keep it from getting infected. (notsure what though) Hope he pulls through...

Originally Posted by ci11337
http:///forum/post/2653948
Thats so sad. Your probably gonna have to treat him with something to keep it from getting infected. (notsure what though) Hope he pulls through...
That's what I was thinking. Although I was wondering how as to the fact that his spines are still out, I would not be able to grab him and apply it.

R

rcreations

I'm thinking maybe you should move him in a QT and treat him with antibiotics. But I'm no expert, someone else here should be able to tell you what antibiotics to use. I hope he makes.

U

usirchchris

My longhorn cowfish injured his eye which became infected. I treated the fish with maracyn II and within 5 days or so it slowly started to heal. I would say it took close to a month or more before it was relatively clear. I treated it with maracyn II for about ten days. I would assume this would work for the puffer as well...at least this is what I would do. Best of luck, I am sure it will pull threw

R

regina13

I feel so sorry for you and the fish. That is the reason I would be scared to get an puffer.

T

tizzo

I agree with the antibiotics. I just treated a fish that everybody thought was gonna die and although it was a pain in the rear, it was well worth it!
I used a tupperware bin to QT, so it doesn't hafta be fancy.

Maybe move him to a hospital tank with triple sulpha or mar.2 .....biobandage the area ??? drop the hospital tank to 69-72f. to prevent infection from spreading...thats a bad wound and hope he recovers