would an emperor 400 be over kill on a 40gal tank??

viking

Would the 400 be to much for a 40gal?? Would the 280 be a better choice?? I found a website that sells the 400 for $41.99 and the 280 for $35.99 so price is not a factor.
email at redphoto@pacbell.net if you want the link to the site by the way :D

pufferlover

I think the 280 would be better for the 40 gal. A 400 using double wheels and pads takes up about 16 inches of the back of the tank. I run 280's up to my 58's and 400's from my 65 up with doubles on my 135 and 120.

viking

Thanx puff is there anything else you would recomend for a 40 in the way of filtration, or equiptment??

pufferlover

Well a lot depends on what you want in the tank as far as fish. A 40 I believe is 12 inches deep and that is something I avoid now a days in my tanks I prefer 18 to 24 inche deep tanks (but I tend to have larger fish). I do have a 45 which I set up with a 280, heater, and I threw a extra skilter 400 I had on it (it does not skim the 400's are worthless except as a water mover in my mind. In that tank I have a maroon clown, snowflake eel, coral hogfish, and a cleaner wrasse. That tank gave me nothing but problems and killed a lot of nice fish for months then somehow it settled in and has been fine for months and has great algae growth going on the live rock I bought for the eel to live under. This tank proved a point to me tho as I used copper in it during my problems and now it has 2 large turbo snails and algae growth (so the copper seems to have gone on its own with just water changes after the med period. Fill me in a bit on what you want to do with the tank.

viking

Oh ya that might help.
Umm a pair of clowns probly True Percs since Maroon's are too agresive, and false percs are WAY overdone!! A sixline wrasse, royal gramma and maybe a Lawnmower blenny when it gets good and setup. Also this tank is 36Lx17Hx15D i think its alot better tank for me to start with instead of the 55 i was thinking of. Its so much cheaper when it comes to equiptment!! Unless i go reef right off the bat :rolleyes:

pufferlover

Sounds good to me. The fish you mention are smaller and will not overgrow the tank. I think tho that would be about it for that tank. The sizes sound good and I like the 15 inch depth. Can't say I have ever seen a 40 but there are so many sizes today it is hard to actually see all of them at any store.

viking

i talked with a guy at one of my LFS and he said the 400 would be better he stuck with his opinion when i told him i was going to order it off the net and not from him. I was amazed!!! plus they sell the same tank for 61 bucks (15 cheaper than *****)

viking

Also how much live rock would be a good amount?? I am planning on getting uncurred due the fact that it is so much cheaper and i am planning on doing the cycle with the live rock in there b/c i have heard that if i cycle the tank and then put uncurred live rock in it will start a new cycle b/c of the dieoff. Should be fun hunting down the crabs and brissle worms :p :D
[ September 03, 2001: Message edited by: Viking ]