Would I kill this LR?

shinobi9119

I havent ben here in a loooong time. but I got a question.
I am going to use the live rock from my 75 gallon tank to kick start the cycle and build my rock structure in my new biocube and I have a question. I am afraid there might be some less than desirable creepy crawlies hiding in some of them. If I let the rock pieces sit in some fresh RODI water would that solve the problem?? Or would it kill all the beneficial bacteria on them too??

mr. limpid

I don't understand your concern, if this LR is from your own established tank the creepy crawlies would be good otherwise they would of been an issue in your 75 gal. tank. If you place LR in low or high salinity it will nock down the beneficial bacteria some what. I would just put it directly in.

cranberry

If I want to get rid of something, I use a hypertonic solution, not a freshwater. If something bails that I want to put back in, they seen to make it past the initially shock of the hyper.... with the FW, they seem to not recover as well.
IME.
It's kill off some surface bacteria, but won't kill the rock altogether.... if you pull it back out rather quick and not just leave it in there.

spanko

Agree with Cran here. Saltwater at greater than 1.03. Stand the pc. of rock on something in the container, and inverted coffee cup etc, and when the critters come out of the rock they fall to the bottom of the container where you can sift through and keep what you want.

shinobi9119

I moved up a few pieces and I spy Mucho bristle worms. Should I leave them, or what? I know some can be a good thing?? BUt I dont want a tank infested with them. I still have pieces of rock to movewhich are bound to have some more!