Would like some input

madtaz

I bought my tank used. It had crushed coral instead of sand. I would like to replace the coral and add sand or could I just put sand over the coral also do I have to drain the tank or could I get away with leaving every thing in the tank. Thank you for your answers

salt210

is the tank setup with inhabitants? if so you will want to be very careful as not to stir the CC up and create a ammonia spike. if you have a shop vac around doing this will be a lot easier. and no you dont want to just put the sand on top of the CC. it will look like crap and drive you crazy down the road and also cause problems later on. when you go to change them out just do small amounts at a time and give the sand time to start growing bacteria to replace what you are removing with the CC. remember to be patient when doing this

madtaz

Yes I have had the tank for about 3 years
Have around 100lbs of live rock mushrooms leather coral and a nice brain and a nice toadstool.Fish wise a blue damsel fox face tomato clown 6 line wrase scissor tail and adopted a skunk clown.And then crabs and snails and a seperent star.I moved the tank a year ago but did not have the money. I maybe moving within the next year I may do it at that time.Is the sand in the bags with water live or have you seen live sand for sale.Would that help with the shock to the tank.
Thank you David

salt210

I would think that if you changed all the sand when you went to move there would be a cycle, maybe not a full but still one.

scopus tang

Originally Posted by madtaz
http:///forum/post/3005941
I bought my tank used. It had crushed coral instead of sand. I would like to replace the coral and add sand or could I just put sand over the coral also do I have to drain the tank or could I get away with leaving every thing in the tank. Thank you for your answers
There is a effective way to place the sand over the CC without having it mix, that looks fine and improves nutrient breakdown, if you're interested in doing a DSB. If you're not interested in a DSB, than take the CC out and replace with sand - chances are that you're going to experience a resurge of algae blooms when doing so, as you'll lose the decomposing microfauna when you pull the CC. Having good quality, real live sand to replace the CC with would help. If you are moving soon, changes are good you're going to experience a mini cycle when you do, so changing the substrate at that point is probably the best bet.