Would this work

juice_1080

Ok so I don't have a reef ready tank but I was wondering if I could do this instead of adding an external or internal overflow box...
Figure out where I want my water level to be (so pretty much where the plastic tank trim is) and then drill a hole for a bulkhead to be installed with the lowest point of the bulkhead at the point where the water level could drain to (in case of power outage) and then covering the hole with some kind of mesh so that nothing but water could get sucked into it. and of course this would then lead to a 90degree PVC corner faced down and then leading to my sump.
Does this sound crazy or possible or just plain stupid. I really don't want to have a hang on back overflow box or really have alot of unnatural clutter in the tank...
BTW this would be for a 75 gallon tank

scsinet

That arrangement would work just fine.
Instead of a 90 degree on the back of the tank, use a "T" so you can extend an open piece of pipe to above the top of the tank by a couple inches. That will allow the pipe to "breathe" and increase your flow rate.

jkcrumb

ya got my wheels spinnin..............#1, how would u attach the 90 Degree (or T) pvc pipe to the back of the tank so it doesnt leak. #2, (this may be a stupid question) are u gonna empty the whole tank to do this??? and #3, is your tank glass or acrlyc????
I'm mainly asking these questions for myself because I've been thinking of doin the same thing.
Thanks and good luck

scsinet

Here's how you'd do it.
The vent pipe extending up above the tank can't leak. Since the water in the drain line is non pressurized but rather gravity fed, it can't rise any higher than the water level in the tank. Since the pipe extends to just above the rim of the tank, the tank would overflow before the pipe did.
If you don't do something like this, you'll get dramatically reduced flow capacity through the pipe. For example, a 1" bulkhead can handle 600gph. If you didn't put this vent in, you'd be lucky to get 200.
Another way of increasing flow is to increase the pipe size. If you use a 1" bulkhead, use a 1 1/4" pipe, T, and vent. Put a reducer on the T connection to the bulkhead. That way when water hits the pipe it drops into a much larger pipe. When you are dealing with pipe capacity, the area of the diameter is what's important, and 1.25" is MUCH larger than 1" (nearly twice).
The vent does not have to be full sized either. If you did a 1.25" pipe, you can put a reducer on the T for the vent pipe as well, dropping it down to 1/2" if you wanted the whole thing to be nice and neat. It would make it quieter too.

juice_1080

So this idea doesnt sound crazy after all.... This idea seems like it would be so much cleaner looking than a standard overflow box and even take up much less space.
jkcrumb: #1 you could install a bulkhead to into the glass to attach the pvc to. #2 this would be for the tank sitting behind me waiting to get set up (nothing in it at the moment, just air). #3 my tank is glass.
If you guys think this would work do you think it would be ok to drill that close to the edge of the glass like that (literally also drilling through the plastic trim)? I would be looking to drill less than an inch from the top. Would this lead to the tank possibly cracking all the way down? Would there be some way I could/should reinforce it?
Do you think it would be smarter to drill 1 or 2 holes. My sump design is going to have part of the water flowing into the skimmer chamber and part of it flowing into the fuge. This would mean I either need to 2 lines coming down or I would need to split the one.
I seriously though everyone would tell me this was stupid or wouldn't work right away.

cannarella

I have seen this done and it works great. The only drawback I can see is that you will skim the surface water like if you had an over flow. So if you did 2 bulkheads you could point one up to skim the top and the other down like planned. Also remember to put screen on the inputs to tank inhabitants don't clog the drain causing a disaster.

michaeltx

drill it below the plastic and on the inside put a 90degree elbow so you can control the water level that way. I have my tank set up exactly this way and it works great. just get a bulkhead measurement first so you get the right size.
as far as how many I have a mag 5 return with a 1 inch bulkhead and I have to throttle the mag 5 back so if I was the one setting up this tank I would do 2 bulkheads.
the main problem you are going to have is drilling it without cracking the tank, I cant help you on that one I have always got them drilled before I got them so I didnt have to worry about it.
Mike

devil dog

What’s up juice... I see you are on your way with setting up that 75...
I would drill two holes and have 1" bulkheads that way you will have about 1200 gph of flow...
If you need any supplies let me know a friend of mine lfs is going out of business and it all is half off
to drill the tank i have done it but i would take it to your local glass shop and have them do it... is just ezer

juice_1080

I still have a ways to go but i figure start buying before I want to set it up that way I can do it right. I am probably not setting it up till may because I will be moving though. What do you think a glass shop would charge to drill it?
The only thing I could think of that I need is a skimmer and some powerheads, and the pumps for the sump/overflow project. Otherwise I already have plans for the sump, lighting,

devil dog

Originally Posted by juice_1080
I still have a ways to go but i figure start buying before I want to set it up that way I can do it right. I am probably not setting it up till may because I will be moving though. What do you think a glass shop would charge to drill it?
The only thing I could think of that I need is a skimmer and some powerheads, and the pumps for the sump/overflow project. Otherwise I already have plans for the sump, lighting,
A glass shop... when i had my 120 drilled it was like maybe $40
he has skimmers and pumps what are you looking for pump Y's? in sump or out and the same with the skimmer in or out? I can see what he has that way you don't ahve to drive all the way over here...
Mike

juice_1080

Devil Dog said:
pumps what are you looking for pump Y's?
I am not sure what you were asking here?
for a skimmer I was looking at using the ones the hang on the side of the sump not inside. As for the pump I was thinking of putting it inside the sump, I am not sure what size I would need though since I am new to the whole sump idea still.
I was also thinking about setting up an auto-top of setup since I am thinking that I don't want to burn up the pump

devil dog

I was just saying what pump are you looking for... I don't think he has any skimmers that hang on but I will look... and for a pumps he only has external pumps that I know…
What are your plans for you sump how many gallons?
Mike

juice_1080

I am not sure on the filled gallons but I based if off of a guys website that he builds custom ones. The entire thing is 30x16x16. inside of that there is a 9x16 space for a skimmer if I decide to put it in the sump (possibility) and a 12x12 fuge and then the rest (19x16) - (the fuge) is the return area so its 7x16 and 4x12 in an L shape (dont laugh at the drawing lol i was in a hurry) the plan is that the water flows into the 2x2 box and down through some rubble and out some holes and the other overflow will run to the fuge slowly and they meet up at the return chamber and then go back to the tank....I have a better plan drawn out on graph paper that I can possibly scan in and post later... I'm off to work tho.