Would you belive

chipmaker

A regular routine of water changes does more to cure a problem with a fish than pima or mela fix can? Out of 6 tests run 3 times each treating like infected fish, Mela and Pima fix has always come in dead last in any kind of cure if any at all! It takes 5 plus full strength doses of potassium permanganate to oixidize and rid water of all traces of mela or pima fix once its added to the tank in even the minimul recomended dose.....and all other meds or treatments either require no removals or only one agerage dose of PP to rid water of them. At one time Mela and PIma fix were a mainstay of all koi keepers, and none would be caught without it, now none will be caught with it. Good water is the best medicine.......and it certainly does more to fix a problem than either of those two fixe's can.....Pima and mela also places a higher respiratory load on a fish that is already stressed out......

oceanists

I believe it , i always have trouble using chemicals , the only chems I use are Nitrate sponge and carbon

poniegirl

I hope the new hobbyists also visit here.
Regular water changes can also prevent the need for treatment.
There is a balance of naturally occurring elements in an aquarium that can't be duplicated. When you "dose" a tank with an artificial treatment to fix one problem, the other side of the balance will become the problem.
Newton said it best, For Every Action....
A naturally clean (water changes, testing schedule), stress controlled (right size tank, compatable tank mates, etc) aquarium....

Maintenance, just like anything else.