Would you buy a refurbished camera?

spiderwoman

I've been looking for a Rebel XTi and could get a refurbished package:
Canon Digital Rebel XTi SLR Camera Body - Black Finish - with EFS 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 Zoom Lens - Refurbished by Canon U.S.A.
for $499.95 w/free shipping
That is about $150 less than others online. All I need then is to get the 80-300mm lense separate and I can get that from a local vendor.
Would you trust a refurbished camera? I buy refurbished Dell laptops when ever I need a new one and never had any problems.

nano reefer

i would get it. the only things that can be wrong with refurbished are: worn out battery, scratched lens, minor damage to the camera. If a person legitimately refurbished it right, none of those would happen.

reefraff

Refurbished can mean a lot of things. Could be a warranty return that was repaired. Repair could have been anything from a bad circuit board to a loose mirror. Refurbished also could be a item that was perfectly fine and returned because the original purchaser just didn't like it so the item was returned to the factory to be tested and repackaged.
If the company offers a good warranty and is known for making a good product refurbished items are a pretty good bet.

spiderwoman

Dang, they are closed until next Monday in observance of Passover :(
Looks like a lot of electronic online stores are closed for a few weeks... NICE!

spiderwoman

Circuit City here is definitely not selling the Rebel XTi with 18-55mm and 75-300mm for $600 and something. Just the basic kit is $650ish.

spiderwoman

This is another combo that I found and it's all new.
Canon EOS Digital Rebel XTI Silver W/ Platinum Package (W/ Canon 28-105 & Canon 75-300 and More!)
This kit includes the following:
* Canon EOS Digital Rebel XTi, 10.1 Megapixel, SLR, Digital Camera Body (Silver)
* Canon 28-105mm f/4.0-5.6 USM Lens
* Canon 75-300mm f/4.0-5.6 III USM Lens
* 2 Gb Compact Flash Card
* CompactFlash Card Reader
* Deluxe Digital Camera Case
* Deluxe Lens and Camera Maintenance Kit
* Pack Of LCD Screen Protectors
* Full Size Tripod
For $649.99 w/free shipping
Good deal?

grips

Be careful of where you buy Canon cameras. I just bought a Canon Rebel XTi last year and through my research, I discovered several people very distraught over their Canon purchase. There are apparently some sellers on the big

[hr]
site selling Canon cameras that are from the asian market. That means no english in the menu. Some of the bodies weren't even being shipped with the firmware, so they were in effect unusable.
Make sure you do some research on whatever seller you are considering purchasing from. If the price seems too good to be true, it probably is. This includes internet websites that appear to be legit.
P.S. I highly recommend the Canon Rebel XTi. I love mine 100%. Haven't regretted the purchase 1 time.

stdreb27

If that is your price range go look at a D40 or D60 from Nikon, they are great cameras and easy to use. And that price new. If you can find one look for a D50 or D70 those will be clearanced out for that price if not less because they are the previous model and great great cameras.

bs21

Skimmed through thisthread but I bought a refurbished rebel xt. The first one I recieved was not working properly. Something to do with the sensor? can't remember what they told me exactly when I sent it back but the replacement they sent me has worked like a champ with no problems. So yes I would buy a refurbished camera as long as there is some insurance that would allow you to send it back if it does not work. Insurance as in buying it from a store/ vendor and not off some random person.

spiderwoman

I've been doing some research on the vendor and I don't think I want to touch the deal after all. Only horror stories about them. UGH! I may just get the camera and lens from the normal big sellers and not worry about what I'll be getting.