Wow! I think I'm in over my head... Help!

sculpin

My dad recently moved into a new house that came with a built in 125 gal marine tank and knows nothing about it. He has asked me to help him out seeing that he is lacking in time to do so himself and has had difficulty with our local aquarium cleaning guys. I myself know little about marine tank but know a whole lot about freshwater planted tanks. So heres the first of what will probably be many question (btw I've already read through the 101 tips)-
First, what would be a good book that will get me on the right track for maintenance on this tank?
Second, What would be a good brand of testing equipment to get for a reef tank?
Third, it's growing a brownish algae on the substrate and how can I get ride of it?
Heres what info I've gathered on the tank thus far:
Gallons 125 (I think)
Reef aquarium (it's got invertebrates, coral, fish, etc...)
Refugium filtration
Protien skimmer
R/O filtrations set up to auotmaticly top off the water
Neptune Systems AquaController
Metal Halide, cp florescent, and LED lighting
So any help would be well appriciated, thank you so much. I'll also try and get some pics up to show you exactly what I've got.
Sculpin

H

h2ocrazy

Welcome to the hobby and the site.
First thing is first. Get some water testing kits, best brand if money is not an issue is Salifert.
About the brown algae on the substrate. How long has this tank been setup? If it is a fairly new setup it just went through a cycle, its normal and will go away. To clean it add some snails or more hermits to take care of it. Syphoning it out works too.
Not good on what books you can read for reef aquariums as I just do a lot of research online, best thing I found is wetwebmedia dot cawm. Sorry just wesite stuff sometimes gets flagged. it shouldn't because they are not a seller just an informative site. I would say google helps a lot and finding some local people who can help. Try maybe finding a local reef group. Almost forgot the only books I have had were The Reef Aquarium Volumes 1 and 2 by Delbeek/Sprung.
I like that you posted as much as you could about the setup. It helps a lot when people are detailed in their questions as it makes it easier to answer. It's just something to remember for future posts.
Hope I was able to help.

matt b

Originally Posted by Sculpin
http:///forum/post/2477019
My dad recently moved into a new house that came with a built in 125 gal marine tank and knows nothing about it. He has asked me to help him out seeing that he is lacking in time to do so himself and has had difficulty with our local aquarium cleaning guys. I myself know little about marine tank but know a whole lot about freshwater planted tanks. So heres the first of what will probably be many question (btw I've already read through the 101 tips)-
First, what would be a good book that will get me on the right track for maintenance on this tank?
Second, What would be a good brand of testing equipment to get for a reef tank?
Third, it's growing a brownish algae on the substrate and how can I get ride of it?
Heres what info I've gathered on the tank thus far:
Gallons 125 (I think)
Reef aquarium (it's got invertebrates, coral, fish, etc...)
Refugium filtration
Protien skimmer
R/O filtrations set up to auotmaticly top off the water
Neptune Systems AquaController
Metal Halide, cp florescent, and LED lighting
So any help would be well appriciated, thank you so much. I'll also try and get some pics up to show you exactly what I've got.
Sculpin
Well for one it sounds like a really nice setup. and for test kits like stated above salifert is one of the best. but API will work fine its what I use. And I do not know if you are asking just what brand or what you need to test for. You will need to test for calcium, alkalinity, nitrate, nitrite, ammonia, PH, magnesium. and a pic of tank would also help so we can find out what kind of algae you are talking about but it sounds like diatoms. and if you dont know what kind of corals you have it would help to have a pic so we can find out what kind they are so we can know if they need any special care.
and welcome to the boards

H

h2ocrazy

You can add phosphates to the list of things to test for also. If you are going to ask the previous owner information about the tank I would suggest you ask the age of most of the equipment and especially the lights as they need to be replaced on a yearly basis.

sculpin

Thank you thus far.
My parents showed me a box with a bunch of "fish tank stuff" as they have called it and I wrote up an inventory:
Kent, Tech Calcium buffer part A (16 oz)
Kent, Tech Calcium buffer part B (16 oz)
Kent, Tech. M Magnesium (16 oz)
Kent, Super Chelated Iron
Kent, Powder Superbuffer DKH (2 lbs)
Kent, Kalkwasser Mix (15.9 oz)
Kent, Garlic Xtreme
Seachem PhosGuard
Aquapure Carbon
Kordon Formalin-3 Treatment & Dip (4 oz)
Copper Power (4 oz)
And here are the Test kits I've found so far:
Red Sea ph/alk Test kit
Red Sea Ammonia Test kit
Red Sea Phosphate Test kit
Salifert Calcium Test kit
Salifert Nitrate Test kit
Salifert Kh/Alk Test kit
I ran the tests and here where the results
Ammonia: inconclusive (Water turned a yellowish brown, no where near the color chart)
Phosphate .1
Kh 8.0
Alk 2.86
Nitrate 0
Calcium 390
I also found out that the tank has been up and running for about a year and half now. I dont have any pictures yet (I haven't been able to track down my digital camera yet) but when I do I'll make sure you guys get some pics. Anyways what do you think of the test results and do you think I may need a water change or to add some supplements?
Sculpin

H

h2ocrazy

Well, you have a bit of inventory with the tank, most seems like you should be able to use it every now and then. I personally wouldn't use them thought, besides the medications, I just dose my tank with a 2 part solution like the Oceans Blend 2 Part. Although you should ask the owner how he used the chemicals as it seems to have been working for him and you are better off continuing normal treatment.
Your readings sound good, except you should get a new ammonia test kit and while you are at it a nitrite test kit. Also you may want to check the Specific Gravity of the water with a hydrometer or a refractometer whichever is available to you or you can afford.
You mentioned the tank being run for over a year and a half, how old are the lights on there? Were they replaced after a year?
On the water change, it doesn't hurt to do 10% a week if you have not been dosing. It all depends on what you want to do...weekly or monthly water changes. weekly should be like 5-10% while monthly is 15-20%, with the weekly you shouldn't be dosing any extra supplements while with monthly you will need them.
Hope to see some pictures soon.

B

bonita69

I would say do a water change go ahead and get yourself on a schedule. I do mine every 2 weeks.
125 @ 20% water change you So that is about 25 gallons for that tank.
(rounded it off two make it easy for you).
25gallons you will change every time you do water changes.
Mix your salt 24hrs ahead of time. Get you a new rubber made trash can to hold your new water. use 5 gal buckets to fill it up the trash can so you know around about your gallons are the right amount. Get a pump like a powerhead or something to keep the new water mixing for at least 24 hrs.
when ready shut all pumps and power to the tank off during water changes. FOR YOUR SAFTY! then take out 25 gal of water and then add the new premixed new water.
That is how a water change is done.
NOW we need to find out what BRAND of salt do you have?
Do you know how to check the Salt salinity of the tank? Your new water NEEDS TO MATCH
if in fact it is on target. If the Salt gravity is on the low side. we will help you get that up. but for now before ANY WATER CHANGE lets find out what your salt gravity is at.
And we can go from there. So test that and give us the results.
WE will help you with this RARE FIND(lucky you) so all of you can enjoy and get addicted like us!!!

alan1

On the water change, it doesn't hurt to do 10% a week if you have not been dosing. It all depends on what you want to do...weekly or monthly water changes. weekly should be like 5-10% while monthly is 15-20%, with the weekly you shouldn't be dosing any extra supplements while with monthly you will need them....... <

[hr]
As another newbie reading this thread, this paragraph you typed was VERY helpful to me. Thanks!
Sculpin....it sounds like you are "good to go". It must be nice to walk into a great and established set up like that.

H

h2ocrazy

No problem Alan1. I try to help when I can.
I will thank Bonita for the detailed explanation on water changes. I kind of forgot I was giving advice to some one new to the hobby.
Sculpin, I would keep searching throught the new found treasure in that house and perhaps you may find most of the tools needed for water changes.
A nice big container(maybe a plastic drum)
A water pump or power head laying around(this can also be used to pump the water to the tank)
Possibly a bag or bucket of salt mix(remember the brand as you will want to stick with what has been working)
and the hydrometer or refractometer
Then just follow Bonita's instructions... and presto you did a water change. While I'm typing I will ask you one more question. Is there by any chance another smaller tank somewhere? You will want to get this running as a quarantine tank if you plan on adding any new fish or corals in the future. Also, some of the medications you listed should not be used in a tank with invertebrates because it will kill them and possibly your tank..

socal57che

http:///forum/post/2477019
Sculpin
The Conscientious Marine Aquarist by Robert Fenner.
and
the good people here at SWF message boards...keep reading threads, you're on the right track.

sculpin

Wow, thank you so much. I did just add a few fish today that were not quarantined (it was my dads B-day present). I don't think it's the end of the world or anything but I'll remember that in the future. Do you think a 10 gallon quarantine tank would suffice?
I'm still looking for a refractometer. I do know that when my dad moved in, there were two plastic 55 gallon drums in his basement area used for water changes. The two had a R/O feed, heaters, power heads, and a big pump to send the water up 2 stories. To bad my dad took them out because that would of made my life easier. Oh well, to be honest he's not all that into it, though he does like the idea of it all, but I'm happy to make a few bucks doing it and I'm starting to get bit by the reef bug.
Also I finally found my digital camera so I should have some pics up tomorrow. I will warn you though the tank itself is not very impressive as far as it's variety of fish and invertebrates. I think the old owner ran out of money before he could adequately stock the tank (hence having to sell the house).
I don't know if I made it clear or not but I'm waaaay into freshwater planted tanks and aquascaping and I really feel like a big noob here in the saltwater realm and I thank you guys for helping me out. I feel like I'm starting all over again.
Oh and sorry for the long winded post :) .
Sculpin

B

bonita69

http:///forum/post/2489156
Wow, thank you so much. I did just add a few fish today that were not quarantined (it was my dads B-day present). I don't think it's the end of the world or anything but I'll remember that in the future. Do you think a 10 gallon quarantine tank would suffice?
I'm still looking for a refractometer. I do know that when my dad moved in, there were two plastic 55 gallon drums in his basement area used for water changes. The two had a R/O feed, heaters, power heads, and a big pump to send the water up 2 stories. To bad my dad took them out because that would of made my life easier. Oh well, to be honest he's not all that into it, though he does like the idea of it all, but I'm happy to make a few bucks doing it and I'm starting to get bit by the reef bug.
Also I finally found my digital camera so I should have some pics up tomorrow. I will warn you though the tank itself is not very impressive as far as it's variety of fish and invertebrates. I think the old owner ran out of money before he could adequately stock the tank (hence having to sell the house).
I don't know if I made it clear or not but I'm waaaay into freshwater planted tanks and aquascaping and I really feel like a big noob here in the saltwater realm and I thank you guys for helping me out. I feel like I'm starting all over again.
Oh and sorry for the long winded post :) .
Sculpin
OH MAN your Dad had no idea what he tossed. That is OK. You say he is not that much into it. Be greatful he had all that stuff other wise he would have had to buy all this extra stuff. That most likley would have caused him to close the tank. BUt once we help you get this tank looking sweet and his Buddies come over and drool over his tank will seal the deal!!!
Your Dad has a Great Tank he will be able to enjoy and you get to learn from it to start up one of your own!! How cool is that!
How hard would it be to hook those tanks back up? The route for the hose is proberly still there yes?

perfectdark

Originally Posted by socal57che
http:///forum/post/2489119
The Conscientious Marine Aquarist by Robert Fenner.
and
the good people here at SWF message boards...keep reading threads, you're on the right track.
+1 the new hobbiests must read and any other seasoned hobbiest Bible... IMO..

B

bonita69

http:///forum/post/2489156
Um for very small fish ok but a 20L would be better for most. They need to stay in that tank for several weeks so the little extra space is needed.
When you take pics take pic of the tank, under the tank filters, skimmer, and RO unit
Just have to see how seet the set up is!
BTW the Salifert IMO are the best test kits!

mcbdz

It is also important to find out what animals you have in your tank and know what you add. Some fish will not work in a reef and some want work with each other. Please list animals or pics of them so you will now you livestock list.

dinki

Be careful in adding new SW fish. Acclimation is a bit different between SW and FW.
Do you have a stock list on the fish in the tank or are you unsure of their breeds? Mixing agressive fish with peaceful fish can turn bad pretty quick. I'd advise doing a little more research before adding any new livestock to the tank.
Just my two cents... I hope you enjoy the hobby as much as I do!
**EDIT** I took a long time writing my response and mcbdz beat me to the punch! ;)

sculpin

I got pics... lots of pics!
I'll start with the fishies.
Blue tang with some kinda scar on his face (if anyone could tell me what's going on here I would appreciate it allot)

These are the ones I just bought for my dad yesterday, the guy at the LFS told me they would be fine with my other fish (I forgot what they where called though, fire...something but there cute as a button)

4 Green Chromis

Tomato Clown

One of 2 shrimp

Invertebrates: I know nothing about any of these

sculpin

To many pics, so I had to post again.
Equipment:

Tank itself:

The algea I need to get rid of:

There is also a goby I couldn't find and a bunch of tiny starfish mostly on the glass.
So there you have it. I hope that help you guys to help me out, thank you.
Sculpin