Wrasse for 40g Breeder

cedarreef

Hey guys, so I am looking for a nice wrasse I can put in my 40g breeder. It's a mixed reef (zoas, LPS, SPS) with a pair of clowns, yellowtail damsel (may get rid of him soon for obvious aggression issues...plus kicks up my sandbed which is just annoying), snails, and a cleaner shrimp. I had a sixline before, but it was getting pretty aggressive and ended up jumping out. I'm looking into a top to prevent jumping issues so what would be a colorful and beneficial wrasse for this system if one exists? Has anyone had success with a solar wrasse? Thanks!

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by CedarReef http:///t/396732/wrasse-for-40g-breeder#post_3534821
Hey guys, so I am looking for a nice wrasse I can put in my 40g breeder. It's a mixed reef (zoas, LPS, SPS) with a pair of clowns, yellowtail damsel (may get rid of him soon for obvious aggression issues...plus kicks up my sandbed which is just annoying), snails, and a cleaner shrimp. I had a sixline before, but it was getting pretty aggressive and ended up jumping out. I'm looking into a top to prevent jumping issues so what would be a colorful and beneficial wrasse for this system if one exists? Has anyone had success with a solar wrasse? Thanks!

Hi,

They jump...the only type of top you can put on a reef, is either a stretch mesh, or egg crate. I made my own mesh top and when I pulled the corner back to feed the fish...my Fairy wrasse jumped to it's death to the very back of my 90g tank were I couldn't even reach him to save him. It was like he timed it, and planned to commit sushi.

cedarreef

Yeah my sixline was happy in my tank for about 2 years until he went missing one day. Found him behind the stand all dried up =[ After that I decided to build a lid of some sort. I guess my main question is about reef safe wrasses that would be happy in a 40g breeder. Is a 40 too small for a solar?

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by CedarReef http:///t/396732/wrasse-for-40g-breeder#post_3534830
Yeah my sixline was happy in my tank for about 2 years until he went missing one day. Found him behind the stand all dried up =[ After that I decided to build a lid of some sort. I guess my main question is about reef safe wrasses that would be happy in a 40g breeder. Is a 40 too small for a solar?

Hi,

They grow to be about 5.1 inches, and my book says minimum tank size is 55g, they are serious jumpers. So if you haveto put it in a 40g tank, but you want to do things right...I would say no, the tank is too small.

cedarreef

Would a longfin fairy wrasse be a suitable option. Most sites I've seen have them listed as requiring 30-50 gallons. Even towards the upper end, a standard 50g has the same length as a 40 breeder. Also, are all wrasses alike in that they will eat bristleworms/flatworms/pyramidellid snails?

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by CedarReef http:///t/396732/wrasse-for-40g-breeder#post_3534855
Would a longfin fairy wrasse be a suitable option. Most sites I've seen have them listed as requiring 30-50 gallons. Even towards the upper end, a standard 50g has the same length as a 40 breeder. Also, are all wrasses alike in that they will eat bristleworms/flatworms/pyramidellid snails?

I don't know about the bristle worm thing. The 40 breeder should be alright, few fish ever really reach maximum size in captivity anyway. That long run of the tank is how they get their speed up for the death dive. They don't jump because they don't have the room, they jump because they like to jump.