WTB:150 South Florida

stuckinfla

I just went from a 55 to 180. Hate to say, probably better off building your own. I got the stand with the tank, but I couldnt use the hood, had to make my own. This is 2 months after I made the hood for the 55!

aiber

Hey,
I live in Pembroke Pines. Do you buy any stuff locally? or only on the internet? If so, where?
I don't have the time to build my own....I could buy a stand with the canopy for $500 at Fish Paradise on Hallandale Blvd. but still would need a reef ready tank.
I am going to hold out until the summer unless I could find someone that wants to get rid of their tank...

stuckinfla

I am actually closer to Coral Springs. Local fish stores. If you dont already have the tank, try buying a complete used set-up. I got my 180 out of the sun sentinel - dual over flows with Durso stand pipes, wet dry, stand, hood, PC lights, pumps, protien skimmer, 6bags live sand, wave maker, and another sump - total - $1,000.00. Patience sometimes pays off. Keep your eyes in the local paper & The Forum (if you get that). Also check the Bargain Trader - or online at traderonline.com

stuckinfla

All I have now is cpl diff zoos, colts, shrooms, yellow polyps, some pavona.....none ready yet-maybe week or so (except colts) Ill keep your e-mail:)

aiber

Fish Paradise from Hallandale is offering to make me a custom built 72x24 satnd 36" high and 11" canapy for $500...unfinished.
What do you guys think???

stuckinfla

What material? Oak....also, what type of lights are you going to use? Depending on the setup, you might need a bigger hood (I use MH, so my hood is 13" this way lights are approx. 9"'s off the water.)

stuckinfla

PS..3 sheets of oak plywood should be enough, and only cost about 120.00. What if you buy materials, how much would they charge?

aiber

Yes, wood.....I thought that the estimate was a good price. Can you build me one for cheaper? :) Or do you know of somebody that can? I simply do not have the time to try to build one!
The commercial stands cost much more..
As far as lighting is concerned, I haven't decided. I really like VHO lighting and have heard many positive things about it. 4 x 160 watts= 640....not really enough for 24" deep for the sps corals but should be enough for all others.
I am also considering halides but two factors sway me away...
COST, HEAT, COST TO OPERATE. Since I really don't need SPS corals, I am seriously considering the VHO's...
hellolights recommended 3 250's....

stuckinfla

Actually, it is a good price. Build you one???
Trying to build my hood between watching my 2 kids in the house and working in the garage it took me 3wks!!! (dad works 6 days a week:rolleyes: )

balistikb

looking for a good LFS with coral?
I often visit 2. one in Davie called Reef Life and the other is Aquacon which is in Lauderhill. They both have a large selection of coral. As for Fish Paradise, I agree be patient and buy a used one if you can't wait look into Beverlys on Pines Blvd or Pet World in Davie. I found them both to be cheaper in dry goods. I hope this helps.

stuckinfla

Look for the grand opening of "Big Als" in Tamarac HUGE STORE:eek: On Southeast corner of University and McNab.....Im really excited......owners gave me a behind the "tanks" tour bout 2wks ago....looks very promising!!!

stuckinfla

Originally posted by balistik1
Always looking for a new store. Any idea when it will open?

Should be the next week or two....I think they were waiting for the permits for the 30K shark tank!!