xenia closing up

kniquy

I purchased a Xenia from swf.com. when i received it the piece looked great and did for the first week. Now for some reason all the - i guess you would call them polyps - look like they are getting whiter and smaller. I have a 75g with 2-250w MH both 10K. My actininc's died so i don't have those on right now. It is placed mid tank with pretty good water flow on it. What might be wrong?? Should it be lower in the tank not sure if the lights are too strong for it. My water parameters are great besides the temp getting well up into the high 80's due to the heat wave we had.

bang guy

Can you post a picture so I know what species we are discussing?
Most prefer warmer temps so I doubt it's heat. ALL are irritable when it comes to water parameter changes or low alkalinity.
How much does your temp change from morning 'till night? What is your Alkalinity? How much does your PH change morning 'till night?

S

saxman

Dood...cool your tank down. I have to disagree with Bang here (it does happen on occasion
)...IME, most Xenia begins melting away at about 82*F and only gets worse as the temps climb...I think you're seeing heat stress.
Of course, some tanks simply won't grow Xenia (for whatever reason), but that's another story. However, ATM, my money is on the heat issue.

reefkprz

I use my xenia as a sign of when my alk is getting low once it starts to look a little shriveled I dose alk (after testing) and it comes back, its always low when my xenia starts to shrivel.

S

siptang

Wow dude high 80 is way too high and to give you different out take on the rest, check your p04. Xenias and other softies actually prefer little p04 in the water.

S

saxman

To add to what Siptang mantioned, I have a friend who grows Xenia like a weed, and he says it thrives on neglect.

coralreefertom

Having had experience with various types of Xenia , I do know that Xenia colonies can grow like weeds in a matter of weeks, but unfortunately, just as quickly as these colonies arise, they can recede and diminish just as fast. I do know that they are not fond of warm temperatures and given that your water temp is in the upper 80's, I am willing to bet that this is having a profound impact on your Xenia colony. Moreover, Xenia like most octocorals will flourish with an iodine supplement like Lugol's?

coralreefertom

I have had various species of Xenia over the past few years. Unfortunately, Xenia can grow prolifically in a short period of time and all looks great, just to have your Xenia colonies dwindle away and die just as fast. I know that high temperatures definitely have a profound impact on Xenia health and growth. High water temperatures, often, will lead to the death of what was once a beautiful and thriving Xenia colony.
From my past experience and research, Xenia and other Octocorals tend to do better with an iodine supplement such as Lugol's.