Xenia dead?

pegasus

I wouldn't say it's dead. The stalks and polyps are still intact, but the polyps are withdrawn. Something is definitely bothering the coral. How much light are they receiving, and how much flow? Mine always do best in bright light and a fairly heavy flow. Not sure what I'm seeing on the rocks around the xenia, but it favors cyanobacteria. If it is cyano, then there's definitely not enough flow to the xen. Xenia like their water a little "dirty", but too much is not good for anything in the tank. What are your water parameters?

flower

What Pegasus said... Mine became a pool of mushy goo because my lights needed new bulbs...but before I could afford new ones, it was too late. A few months after I got the bulbs, I noticed tiny hairs where the xenia used to be, and in a few weeks...I could tell it was baby xenia! Never give up, they are super hardy.

2quills

Looks like you may have the beginnings of some cyano bacteria on the rocks. Cyano can produce toxins and drastically lower oxygen levels in the system. Agree with increasing the flow to help with that and If you don't already have a protein skimmer you may want to consider one.

That stuff can be a pain to get rid of.