xenia fragging

monalisa

Hi all,
I have some rogue xenias that are growing around a small colony of trumpet corals, and I really want to get rid of them rather than relocate the trumpets. My question is, would it be safe to frag the xenias directly in my dt? They're growing on a rock that is much too large and too situated to pull out. I just want to make sure I don't go poisoning my tank or anything stupid like that.
Help is greatly appreciated!!
Lisa

bang guy

It's better to avoid fragging in the tank but you already know that.
Turn off all waterflow in the tank, complete the fragging and siphon out all of the slime from the Xenia. The slime is bad news if it hits a coral or coraline algae. It probably won't kill a healthy coral but it will stress anything it touches.

monalisa

Originally Posted by Bang Guy
It's better to avoid fragging in the tank but you already know that.
Turn off all waterflow in the tank, complete the fragging and siphon out all of the slime from the Xenia. The slime is bad news if it hits a coral or coraline algae. It probably won't kill a healthy coral but it will stress anything it touches.
Thanks Bang Guy. I decided to just move the trumpets (for now) and place some LR rubble around the rogue xenias and frag them that way. IDK, xenias sure do like my tank!!
Thanks again!!
Lisa