xenia fuge keepers

ekclark

I am thinking of adding some xenia into my fuge for nitrate export...I have a 13 watt pc light over one of those cpr hang on refuges--do you think it will grow under that? It is only a few inches off the surface of the water. Will 24/7 lighting mess the coral up? How has this worked for people? Thanks.

stapler

Yeah I think they are the only coral(or at least that I have heard of) that help with nitrate problems.
Im not sure if that will be enough lighting...IMO, I wouldnt put it under that. I have no idea bout 24/7 lighting...so hopefully someone else can chime in.
JMO
stapler

nm reef

I've heard of xenia being used for nutrient export but normally in large refugiums on a reverse lighting schedule. I wouldn't think a hang on would be large enough for xenia to thrive and the 24/7 lighting may not be good for them.Just my opinion though...maybe somebody that actually uses xenia for nutrient export will comment.

birdy

There are a couple of ways of doing it, one is to set up a refugium specifically for the xenia, or just put it in your display in an easy area to remove. I know a couple of people who just remove it from display as a means of nutrient export.

bang guy

ALmost all corals can potentially lower Nitrate. The deal is most of them grow too slow to export significant quantities.
Xenia requires less space than algae but a LOT more light to grow fast. That makes it a more expensive nitrate removal tool but it should be very good for the space impared. I would not suggest 24/7 lighting though. 10 - 12 hours max IMO.